Java Peahen with White feathers?

I don't believe it is diet or hybrid related. As AquaEyes pointed out if it was diet related it should be occurring in other birds and it is not. Is it the "turning white" that has happened with other colors? Maybe. To my knowledge no one has yet figured out the cause of it.

With each molt the white feathers have become more numerous. The original poster of this thread mentions just the neck and chest having white feathers in his hen. Which as you can see in the photos that is where our hen began getting the white feathers. Also you can see some of the feathers at the roots look normal color but turn white, they all don't seem to start out as white.
This year however she has wing feathers that came in totally white.

I am stumped, and wondering how much white she is going to get.

Clinton, I wish I knew how to give these birds insects. Purchasing meal worms and crickets cost a fortune. I tried breeding the meal worms but that wasn't as easy as some say it is. I've read give them canned fish like mackerel which is affordable but only one ate a little. One has to be careful giving them food that can spoil if not all eaten on the spot. Anyone have an answer?

Hi bdfive,
I have ideas...

1) Trapping the moths near lights as moths are lured by light at nighttime. You have to make a trap / bag below light so moths fell in but won't get out.

2) Make a compost nextdoor to green peahen pen, compost get lot of insects & works, if you turn the compost, insects come out & become green peahen's lunch.

3) Put a sheet of newspapers or old carpet onto ground and 2-3 weeks, you lift the newspapers or carpet, you'll see insects.

4) Collect the insects yourseft from plants in gardens & feed the peahen. Shake the bush/tree and you'll see some insects falling off plants.

A canned cat food may be tried, as muscovy ducks are known to eat dog & cat food from cans and moulting peacocks eat food from canned cat & dog foods.

Cheers

Clinton.

Quote:

Clinton, I do feed dried cat food that has animal and fish protein along with gamebird feed. I don't have a lot of time to spare .... stay so busy but putting a piece of carpet or maybe scrap plywood on the ground and lifting it every week or so sounds like a good idea. I could use a couple. Problem I see with that is fights over the insects. We've had an ongoing drought and literally had practically no bugs this year so far. Even predators like raccoons and the such are starving. Regarding compost pile.....I could try that but where there is moist dirt the armadillo, skunk, raccoons, etc; dig for the huge grubs. Having one next to the pen would keep the birds fussing all night from fear. I've tried giving them the grubs .... they don't want anything to do with them maybe because they are so large. OH YUCK...don't tell me to cut them up, LOL!!! We have very rocky ground so digging holes can't be done but where we've chipped downed cedar trees there are piles of mulch. If I dig into it I can come up with a dozen grubs in a shovel load. Not sure what time of year but there are holes dug in all the piles now. Think I'll see what I can get today and offer it to the birds again. Hahaha, maybe my husband will cut them up.

Agree, be wary of insects and do not feed worms under any circumstances. Earthworms carry several diseases and parasites that will damage or kill your peafowl. I would not chance grubs or other random ground insects. Many peafowl owners and breeders spend lots of time to make sure the birds don't eat insects from the ground. Some of these are grub control treatments and sand in the pens.

I don't think no one know for sure why this happens. I have seen it in several of the green species. I know some of the import have this problem and according to Wolfgang it a vitamin K deficiency.

Regarding worms and insects. The free range peafowl surely eat them and they stay healthy as can be. I do worm them all twice a year.

Vitamin K deficiency? What can we give them to make up for it? I doubt most of the feed companies care about proper nutrients. I've started mixing Manna Pro Conditioner in with their Gamebird feed. I need to start a new thread about feeding layer pellets. I've been told by many breeders that what they use. Doesn't make sense to me to feed Peacocks layer pellets. I've also read somewhere the calcium builds up and causes problems. Also read something about "Why do captive males only live 10 years" Maybe it's the layer pellets??????

I need to quit doing research.... to much conflicting information....very confusing!

Quote:
Yes alot of wrong info out there , some even on here....cative males , many live 20 + year, unless you read about the charcoal which do avg. 10 years.

AS far as feeding laying pellets that for the peahen, yes the peacocks get fed that also during breeding season. never harmed mine. just like feeding them to rooster in laying flock ,don't see the harm to them either

As far as feeding insects or earthworms ......great harm to your birds.....they get enough without giving them MORE. yes host to alot of thing that can kill your peafowl. main reason you need to worm your birds.........because they do eat insects that are host to worms.

Far as wild peafowl........yes some live ,but alot more die than those raised by peafowl breeders. One reason they live so long ,is because it take many years to replace the two parents...

Back
Top Bottom