Java Peahen with White feathers?

Quote:
Judging from the feedback I've received over the years, most photographers are thrilled that their photos are even being utilised, especially in informative posts on forums. What they do not abide by as a rule is when people publish them in manuscripts or private websites.

Quote:
Judging from the feedback I've received over the years, most photographers are thrilled that their photos are even being utilised, especially in informative posts on forums. What they do not abide by as a rule is when people publish them in manuscripts or private websites.

Nothing wrong as long as permission is given, and credit is giving to those who took the pics.

Reason I post links...gives credit to those with the info or the pics. IMO ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Most of the photos I use I have not only asked permission to use but also paid licensing fees for use in the encyclopedia. Other photos I've even commissioned wildlife photographers to take for my express use.
The photos on this page are commissioned by me or in the case of the wading peafowl series, the name of the photographer is clearly listed on the photograph. If you right click on the photo you will see the credit of the photographer or it is his own photo license listing name. The insinuation that anyone is ripping off anyone by posting a photo on a free forum open to the public is a non-starter. There's plenty to gripe about in the world. This isn't one of them. Contributions regarding hybridization or hormonal imbalances or your experience with white feathers appearing in green peahens would be most useful.

Last edited:
Resolution, you are a saint to share all this information. I have a lot of reading to do and more I want to answer and respond to I'm sure with questions but will comment on a couple things now.

JAVA: Do we refer to our Green Peafowl as "Green"? I say Java just to get the point across of what I have. I realize the chance of having 100% full blood uncrossed Greens is unlikely.

SOY: Mazuri is suppose to be so good but I have the tag here and it reads ingrediants of dehulled soybean meal and soybean oil so.....don't feed it to Green peafowl? How about Blue?

GREEN PEAFOWL ENCLOSED: Oh no....wouldn't think of letting my Green pair free range. In fact after letting my year old 75% Green free range they are in the pens. They go 2 five acre tracts over and before dark I have to lead them home with food. Not fun! Also when they leave the ground it's like watching any wild bird fly. 3 were in a huge old growth Live Oak tree that towers above our RV garage with 18 foot walls and a roof with a 4-12 pitch. The India Blue go to the top limbs but when they come down in the morning they fly from limb to limb to get lower toward the ground then fly down. My yearlings left from the top, flew over the RV garage, over our house, over all the huge trees leaving this property. I had to go under 2 fences and over 2 to reach them. Had to dig holes large enough for them to crawl under the 2 I climbed over. I'm lucky there were no dogs and I didn't get shot. I'm telling you....I liked to dropped dead watching them fly. Good thing I can feed them from my hand and they follow me around or I'd have lost them for sure long ago. I can't imagine how well the full blood Green can fly. I did have one person in Oklahoma tell me he'd raised a Green from the egg, had it 8 years and it was a tame pet. He decided to free range it so turned it loose. Said it was immediately 100 feet in the air headed south and he never saw it again, LOL!!!

I will call and ask where I can get the Ultrakibble in the next couple days. Once again I really thank you for helping me as I'm sure everyone does that's following this thread.

Have chores .... more later.

north2_Christoph_Keller_pavo_muticus_pfau_gruener_green_peafowl_aehrentraegerpfau.jpg

Quote:
Ha! A saint! I've never been described with that term before- at least not on a public forum! Thank you for your kindness.

I think Green Peafowl is the most appropriate term. If a bird is a cross between different green peafowl with no Indian or domestic mutation genetic pollution - that's a composite.
Personally, I refer to these green composites as Evergreen, something the peanut gallery will burst with contempt over. I've yet to hear or read any other suggestion but am looking forward to any acknowledgement of the problem by the hobbyists with the most invested in peafowl. There are quite a few evergreens in the country. Tragically, a large % of the individuals who procured imported stock from Europe recently, have taken to crossing them with American stock of unknown provenance in an effort to artificially select traits that will mislead many people into thinking the birds are "pure imperator" "pure muticus muticus" whatever they decide on. That stock is evergreen and still invaluable as a genetic bank but a typically pathetic move by the people that truly know better. I don't see any attempt at managing lines or documentation. It's a free for all with everyone claiming their nationalistic identity and right to do whatever they feel with their personal property as being far more important than the conservation of a highly vulnerable captive population. I am truly saddened by what I've been learning about the situation. It's as if these people have a contempt for the birds themselves.

I don't think anyone should feed any any species, not a duck, a chicken, flamingo, pigeon or pheasant much less a peacock on GMO soy. I can assure you there is no GMO free soy available to feed manufactures as it's a commodity- it's all about the profit margins. Don't feed it. What I don't understand is the person that sells farm fresh eggs right out of their farmer's market -knowing that the egg yolk might as well be soy as that's what went into building it. They'll argue that their birds scratch around find bugs and such but really- if the bird's maintenance diet is soft pellets or crumbles and they eat it every day as their basic nutrition- everything else they find to eat is just a treat. It's not contributing much to the diet. I've heard arguments for and against the use of soy. no point in demonizing something that is a miracle of agricultural science and that is helping to feed the world. Nevertheless, it's not going to feed anyone in my family, my community ( from eggs sold from my farms) or fed to any bird or mammal in my care.
I can't believe I used to feed it to my birds every single day 365 days of the year. It never occurred to me that this is why the immune system of the birds was wobbly. Once I stopped using it the hard to rear birds starting reproducing more consistently and problems with female reproductive health have for all intensive purposes ended.

Scratch grain is a fine food when mixed in the proper ratio with a good supplement. Obviously I'm biased toward UltraKibble but maybe there are other soy-free products on the market that I don't know about. If there are snatch em up. The scratch just fills the crop- helps the birds feel satiated- the supplement is the whole diet.

I have some beautiful green hybrids free ranging - opal spauldings and white emeralds. So- don't think I'm a purist. I find that there are true masters of selective breeding and I will purchase their master pieces as readily as heirloom pear tree or oil painting. The birds do make their moves- but at least white coloured birds don't tend to wander too far from white backgrounds. But I wouldn't suggest it for folks with neighbors.
I'm worried that I'm going to be charged with hijacking this thread. I hope I answered some questions about the white feathering- of course I have lots of my own about the phenomenon.
In my experience, when birds are fed on the appropriate diet they will moult out the feathers and grow in plumage with rarely a single white plume.

That's been my experience and anyone can experiment for themselves but it begins with cutting soy feed out entirely. Also, resist mixing vitamins and minerals as supplements into feed that has already been pre-formulated. I'll start a new thread on diet sometime-probably about live food- if anyone has a question just PM me. Chores are calling me too.

only the best

K.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats better , like i said IMO not fair to post other peoples info or pics without giving them credit......By the way i wasn't griping..just stated i myself didn't think it should be done, without permission or giving credit where due.

I'm sure more people than me ,can't tell which are your or taken from the net. Plus other do it also.....never me...JMO.

A smart cookie once said, "It is better to ask some questions than to know all the answers"

Randy Spicer made some Pheasant/Peafowl feed but his website is down so they may not sell it anymore.

Last edited:
Resolution wrote
I have some beautiful green hybrids free ranging - opal spauldings and white emeralds. So- don't think I'm a purist. I find that there are true masters of selective breeding and I will purchase their master pieces as readily as heirloom pear tree or oil painting. The birds do make their moves- but at least white coloured birds don't tend to wander too far from white backgrounds. But I wouldn't suggest it for folks with neighbors.

I would love to see some pics of your free ranging opal spaldings & white emeralds in a new post!!!!​

Quote:
I would love to see some pics of your free ranging opal spaldings & white emeralds in a new post!!!!

I think there are some photos here . I'm not much of a photographer unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom