Javas VS Spaldings, Some questions for you guys

I will never catergorize myself as an expert on any thing. But that being said I have soaked up as much info on greens as I could. Minxfox has dang sure did her home work as well. BTW Minx a good time to go to B&B is their fall festival. Im going to try and go this year. It is alot fun. AugeredIn told me I should go to the BAB Farm Day and I am planning on going so I will see you there! I am so excited I am going to take bazillions of photos of the birds and probably take a long time looking at all the birds.

Dany12 made the most excellant point I believe there is. Joe there is so much catergorizing and nomanclature on greens you will end up pull your hair out . There is NO test to determine subspecies intermixing on top of all of it. So visual references ONLY for that dillema sorry to say. Kermit (Resolution) can help you on some of the more of the technical and ALL the scientific aspects of the "dragon birds". But he too would pretty much tell you the same everyone here could and has said. Reinhold raises and seperates the sub-species over the big pond and like Minxfox said, look at his website for great info and seeing the comparison on the subs. He cares the most I feel on keeping them pure over Europe way. The situation is what it is. Do the research and make up your own mind.
wink.png

You will see all the complications when you delve into it heavy is all I can add to whats been already said here. This is really true. Even large peafowl breeders find complications with green peafowl. Texas peafowl has a page showing some problems that arose with their green peafowl breeding after they realized they didn't have pure birds. Now I think they use imported peacocks with Rodney Michel peahens. Here is their page with green peafowl photos showing the problems they noticed: http://www.texaspeafowl.com/open.html With me the complications I have found is when you find "green peafowl" for sale it normally is too good to be true because the birds are usually spaldings. I had a guy swear to me his friend had green peafowl "Oh no they are definitely not blues" but when they sent me photos I could tell they were spaldings. Another thing is when you do find pure greens they can be pretty expensive compared to most other varieties. The funny thing is the cheep ones normally are the ones that are spaldings or mixed subspecies. The ones you see listed for higher prices are probably higher priced because they are imported birds usually from Europe.

I will say though you can make birds tame by spending alot of time around them. Most of the people I know that have them do exactly the opposite. The logic guess being is keeping the wildness intact in them. Ever see crazy or real skittish birds at a Zoo?.......no. Thats my point. They get used to people.I hope you get pures if thats what you desire, but more importantly I hope you ENJOY them.
smile.png

I am so confused with Greens, I tried to get pic's today but weather was not helping, I'll post pics soon.

Only for telling if it has blue blood in it is what I have told Trefoil. Not for telling the subspecies apart. I cant wait till I get my hen this fall See ya there Minxfox. I still have to find out what day it is

Last edited:
In Person there faces are very yellow, and there Necks do not appear to be as blue as in the Pic much Greener.

In Some of the Pic's there is a Spalding Male that is not part of this pair.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom