Jersey Giant crosses?

Thanks. The more I think about it the less concerned I am about broody JGs. We're going to have separate layers and try some Dorkings as well, I can stick eggs under another broody hen to avoid getting them smashed. I'm toying with the idea of seeing what a JG Dorking cross might end up like, maybe a good compromise between size and broodiness is in my future. :)

Dorkings are super broody. And will hatch out others for you. Do you have any hens?
pop.gif

We have several JG cross around ...some crossed with black copper marans and some with an ameraucana/welsummer cross roo...these JG were culls from our flock of JG we use to show etc but still very nice birds (much nicer than hatchery -- we cull pretty hard) They cross nicely...my JGs don't go broody very much if at all but cross tend to be seomwhat broody and lay a speckled egg. I will try and post pics later if anyone is interested. I like the size of the birds...it discourages some would be predators .
I know this is an old thread, but anyone know what a splash JG cross FBCM would be like? Would it keep the brown egg gene? What colour would the chicken be?!

We're definitely going to try some dorkings as well, and I might try crossing them with the dorkings. We have no worries about slow growth, we won't butcher until the free range pickings get slim anyway. But I'v heard so much about JGs rarely going broody. We'll have a separate flock of layers anyway, not like I can't just grab the first broody hens I find and put eggs under them, right?

The more I think about this the more convinced I am that I'm going to do this. :)
I had a Jersey Giant go broody and hatch some doodies this year. My RIR's, Speckled Sussex' or Australorps didn't go broody, but my JG'S did.

Back
Top Bottom