Jersey Giants or Black Australorps?

BrandiMSlovak

Chirping
Feb 22, 2018
Berks County Pennsylvania
So last year I bought 2 chicks out of the Black Australorp bin at my local ag store. As they grew a few people told me their Jersey Giants so I assumed thats what they are but their a year old this month and they are not any bigger than my other hens (barred rocks, rirs, EEs, gold laced wyandotte,) although they are bigger then my speckled Sussex. Now they are very fluffy butted and it looks almost like they have a bustle (for lack of better phrase) on their backs where their tail feathers start. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20171230_160118_HDR.jpg
    20171230_160118_HDR.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180228_184304_Film3.jpg
    20180228_184304_Film3.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 42
Looks like Australorp to me. :pop

Sussex are slightly smaller.

Some have said their Jersey Giants from the hatchery never got giant size.

It's the dark legs that make me say Orp.

Ohh, you've got a beautiful flock! :love
Looks like Australorp to me. :pop

Sussex are slightly smaller.

Some have said their Jersey Giants from the hatchery never got giant size.

It's the dark legs that make me say Orp.

Ohh, you've got a beautiful flock! :love

Thank you I adore my silly flock ❤❤❤

We have both in our flock, all from Meyer’s hatchery. The Jersey Giants are only just the tiniest bit larger than the Australorp (bascailly, you can only see it if you are really studying them). Their colors are the exact same, the eggs they lay are the same color and shape. Like stated above, the best and easiest way to tell is by under foot color. The JG are noticeably yellow. It can be easily seen when they lift their foot to walk, as long as it’s not insanely muddy out.

My BJG is only slightly bigger than my regular standard sized girls. The best way to tell an Austrolorp from a BJG is the bottom of the feet. BJGs are yellow, Austas are whitish/pink. Here's my flock, and the all black one in the top left is my BJG...
View attachment 1280605
Their all so PRETTY! What is the one on the right in front of the speckled Sussex I believe it is?

Back
Top Bottom