Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

hi Wynette
here are some pics of the chicks i hatched from your eggs! i cant believe how much they have grown! i think i have 3 pullets and 1 roo, what do you all think?
roo
46766_dscf3242.jpg

same roo
46766_dscf3244.jpg

the girls
46766_dscf3243.jpg

46766_dscf3245.jpg

this one is the other blue girl and the splash girl from last pic
46766_dscf3247.jpg

heres one of all 4 together
46766_dscf3251.jpg

so how close do you think i am one the sexes of these little ones?
smile.png
they will be 8 weeks at the end of the week

Last edited:
Quote:
The one in the 5th picture to the far left appears to have some beak & foot defects.
big_smile.png

I'm not convinced the first one is a cockerel - to me, they all look like pullets. But, my monitor is not the best. I don't see much red in the comb, and the comb is not that large - the way the comb meets the beak looks pulletish to me, too. I'm not fantastic as sexing them, though!

The splash gal, though these pics aren't the greatest to tell confirmation (you suffer from Wynette-ism on pictures! Sorry!), looks like she's going to be super nice so far!

Soaring - that's so sweet of you to say! But - if they're culls for me, I wouldn't want YOU to have them, either! I'd just sell them locally as POL pullets.

Quote:
I know! I am SO not a great picture taker. I need to work on that. Also, my digital camera is pretty old. I keep trying to save for a nicer one, but seems like every time I get a bit of cash saved up, something comes up. Sigh....

Quote:
The one in the 5th picture to the far left appears to have some beak & foot defects.
big_smile.png

I'm not convinced the first one is a cockerel - to me, they all look like pullets. But, my monitor is not the best. I don't see much red in the comb, and the comb is not that large - the way the comb meets the beak looks pulletish to me, too. I'm not fantastic as sexing them, though!

The splash gal, though these pics aren't the greatest to tell confirmation (you suffer from Wynette-ism on pictures! Sorry!), looks like she's going to be super nice so far!

Soaring - that's so sweet of you to say! But - if they're culls for me, I wouldn't want YOU to have them, either! I'd just sell them locally as POL pullets.

that would be so great if they were all pullets
smile.png
the roo guess was based on the shorter tail and the fact that it runs up to me every time i walk out to the pens while the other 3 run and hide. i dont see much red on any of them yet but i will keep my eyes open for it.

Here are better pictures of the two splash girls that were giving me fits trying to get a good picture.
first up Pride and Joy line. She is the sister to the older blue pullet on website
46537_cars_and_updated_breeders_and_pheasants_103.jpg

second up is Wyennte's line
46537_cars_and_updated_breeders_and_pheasants_137.jpg

hey JG lovers - I just got my very first one a few weeks ago and I
love.gif
him!

Meet Moose, he just turned 7 weeks old:

P7010003.jpg

P7010004.jpg

P7010005.jpg

Hatchery quality, but there's nowhere else to get "rare breeds" around here...

Moose was supposed to be a girl.

One of my friends ordered 4 sexed pullets from the hatchery, and handed one over to me completely random, as they were all supposed to be girls.

Of course I ended up with a boy (hers are all girls).

Guess it's fate?
idunno.gif

I don't know much about JG's so catching up on this thread... roosters are supposed to stay sweet, right? non-aggressive?
fl.gif

Quote:
Any JG fan is welcome here! Welcome to the thread. very pretty boy you have there. Yes they ( most) stay sweet.
mine are stil young so I will let someone else step in here and tell you more.

Quote:
Cool - thanks!

I look forward to learning more about these "gentle giants" - hope the reputation is true1

I do have to say that Moose is at the bottom of the pecking order and he's in a flock of 14 chicks, some younger than him and all smaller, of course!

He has the most gentle look in his eye, he's pretty quiet and gets along great with everyone - never makes a peep.

fl.gif
I hope he stays this sweet so we can keep him
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom