Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

WOOT WOOT! Hatching eggs being picked up this Saturday in Indiana so I can finally get started with these large beautiful birds!And the bator has been started.

I know the photo quality is poor but my FIL bought these as Jersey Giant pullets that hatched in Nov. which would put them at about 6 months old? They're tail feather area is super ratty and torn up and to me ( I have zero experience with the breed) they look like younger roos. He says the lady he bought them from say they take a really long time to mature but I'm starting to doubt this. I only see the birds about once a week.

Here they are when he got them

Here is the bigger one now. It's shoulder feathers are lovely with a nice green sheen, but its back, neck and tail feather still look pretty shredded.

Thoughts please.

Hi, new to this breed. I posted on the "gender" forum but not getting many responses. Thoughts on Roos or pullets? They are about 11/12 weeks. Based on comb and waddles i thought boys, until one of them got out of its pen a couple times and my rooster keeps mating with it. If the JG is a roo, would another roo really mate with it?

#2 this is the one that got mounted by my roo.

I know the photo quality is poor but my FIL bought these as Jersey Giant pullets that hatched in Nov. which would put them at about 6 months old? They're tail feather area is super ratty and torn up and to me ( I have zero experience with the breed) they look like younger roos. He says the lady he bought them from say they take a really long time to mature but I'm starting to doubt this. I only see the birds about once a week.

Here they are when he got them

[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]

Here is the bigger one now. It's shoulder feathers are lovely with a nice green sheen, but its back, neck and tail feather still look pretty shredded.
[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]

Thoughts please.
Hi, new to this breed. I posted on the "gender" forum but not getting many responses. Thoughts on Roos or pullets? They are about 11/12 weeks. Based on comb and waddles i thought boys, until one of them got out of its pen a couple times and my rooster keeps mating with it. If the JG is a roo, would another roo really mate with it?
#2 this is the one that got mounted by my roo.
Look like pullets to me. Saris, the ratty feathers can be due to feather mites or another chicken pulling feathers.

Back
Top Bottom