Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Nobody attacked [that person]. It was simply stated-as a "heads-up" to consumers; and yes this forum is great for that. I like that she has promoted the breed, especially the blues, with her internet presence. And, yes, she does have some beautiful birds.
I will compare this to the purebred dog fancy. Any responsible, ethical breeder knows that it's their responsibility to spay/neuter puppies that show defects, whether something minor like poor markings or serious like under-bite or hernias. Some will spay/neuter prior to selling to a pet home, others will require sterilization verification before releasing AKC registration papers. Either way helps to insure they won't reproduce, thus doing their part for the betterment of the breed. In the poultry world it's called culling. A hen with defects or flaws still has usefulness as a backyard layer. Occasionally a cull rooster will get lucky and find a home with someone that wants a big, handsome flock guard, I've sold (cheap) a few fortunate cockerels to homes like this-most go to freezer camp because I do not want them to reproduce. I understand that I can't dictate what other chicken people do; but I can do my part, for this great breed, to responsibly cull and NOT sell "pet" pairs or trios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.. Stand back.. I'm gonna say it like it is.. ( in my not so humble opinion.. right now any how..)

( edit.. by me.. - Feathers.. this is not .. hummm typed in a mean.. way.. i wish.. meaning could be put better in 2 dimentions of an email post.. but its just hard to do.. I hope you will not take offence....

No offense taken! I'm thankful we have this forum where we can discuss things and politely agree to disagree, or debate and discuss pros/cons of whatever crazy chicken ideas that come up.
wink.png

Listen, folks, I have deleted references to a breeder in several posts. I typically would not have done that, since I am a regular contributor to this thread.

It's okay to post an opinion - and that is what I did, my own, as well as the vice president of NJGC. Neither of us mentioned names, locations, any identifying information.

I stand by what I said, and by what the VP of the Giant club said. It's just plain irresponsible and inconsiderate to sell a "pet quality" bird for astronominal prices in my opinion. Here's what is happening - someone is jacking prices way up, in the hopes that an innocent consumer will see the ad & think, "Oh, wow - those prices are HIGH! Those birds must be REALLY good quality birds to be asking that much for them!" I feel badly for the folks who have been duped in this way.

We all know some folks are in this just for the money. It is what it is. I can disagree with that all day long, but it certainly won't stop a person from acting in this way. My point, and the point of the vice president of the club is to BE AWARE - DO YOUR RESEARCH - ASK QUESTIONS. There are plenty of breeders with smaller flocks who are in this for the betterment of the breed...to move it forward, and SHARE with others, at a REASONABLE price.

Okay, I'm done with this conversation now. Sorry I was up on such a soap box, I only want folks to LOVE the breed, and be happy with what they get. And to not get ripped off. That's all.
smile.png

Herman, thanks for the "redirect" - bless you! I still do not have any pictures. I promise to get some this weekend!

Finally got caught up on this thread, love hearing about everyone's ventures with their Giants! Lots of cute chick pics and what a fantastic compliment from the judge at the show-Congrats on that!! Speaking of shows, we're having one this weekend in WA, put on by PNPA. I'm taking 8 and what a job bathing yesterday. By the time I finished I was dripping wet too
wink.png

Hope the hatches are improving; I too had a SLOW start as the girls just wouldn't cooperate. Going strong now and I'm excited to hatch some eggs from the show group.

Here's a few pics of some of my blues; they were just under a year old when I took them.

OOOoooohhh....I really like this female from the picture...she is lovely!
love.gif

That could be different for different folks. I have one barn that's 30' x 44'. inside, I have several sections of birds, and the each have individual runs; but there are no coops, just indoor pens side by side, all under one roof.

I do have a separate coop/run for my ducks, and my layer pen is one coop and one completely separate pen.

The picture of the cockrel here, looks exactly like my Austrlorp male. Aren't the feet supposed to be yellow on a giant? My Aussie had mostly black feet and legs but a bit of yellow here and there.

I can't imagine someone bathing a chicken.! Do they protest and how do you hold their wings down? Any videos of that?

I'm a newbie. Started with three silkies last Halloween. I'm waiting on a order of a pair of 6-8 week old Blue JG. They should be here next week. I'm so excited! They are so beautiful. I only found one place to buy them. How do you find other breeders. I would like to add more to my flock, but these were more then I planed on spending.

Back
Top Bottom