Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I like to keep "at risk" new chicks in their own brooder for safety. I had some 2 week olds in the brooder and got some new day olds and carefully integrated them watching them for a long time to ensure they were integrated safely - I was lucky one of the 2-3 week olds adopted them as her own babies and protected the new babies from the other 2-3 week olds.
Well I decided it was to early to give her chicks and moving her could have set her off. She did take the ceramic eggs, so far so good. Last time she was like day 16 when she got off the nest, broken egg shells and the ceramic eggs were just left there.. I am collecting Ranger eggs for a week to go in the incubator and give them to her. Worked last year with a Buff Orp, she just pecked my hand and took the chicks under her. Why she couldn't have gone broody 2 weeks ag so I could have given her some chicks.

Last edited:
Looking for someone in Oklahoma with a splash rooster. I am willing to drive a few hours or pay to have one shipped if I have too.
We have blacks right now but I'm wanting to get some blue babies from our girls next spring.

D.gif
I am now the proud "father" of 5 baby Jersey Giants! I went out this morning to a local farm to get them. When I left home to go to work today, they were chirping, eating, and drinking away...so it looks that like they are settling in just fine. I will post pics soon!

Getting rid of 2 pullets tomorrow. I went on Craigslist looking for a red or an orp cockerel or rooster. The lady has 2 birds she bought that were "sexed" . She split an order with her neighbor of Rhode Island Red Pullets. all but one are cockerels. I felt sorry that she had no layers so I am giving her 2 of my 2 month old Jersey girls.

[COLOR=000080]
D.gif
I am now the proud "father" of 5 baby Jersey Giants! I went out this morning to a local farm to get them. When I left home to go to work today, they were chirping, eating, and drinking away...so it looks that like they are settling in just fine. I will post pics soon![/COLOR]
Congratulations! I sure hope to buy more next year.

My goal for next spring is 4 JG girls, 4 BA's, and 4 Orphingtons. I am very excited about the future.
That sounds like a wonderful mix. I am going for something similar - Adding Langshans as well and probably fewer JG's (probably mostly JG's like a Rooster or two) and in place of all Orpingtons using Buff color sex link chickens because I am so in love with the way they grow so fast and have such good temperaments similar to the Orpington but the Orpington for me is maybe too similar to the Langshan and Australorp.

Especially since Orpingtons were bred from Langshans and later Australorps were bred from Orpingtons I feel some fresh genes like the Red Star might be better to freshen things up. The Jersey was also bred from Langshans+Javas+Brahmas.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Golden-Buff-Red-Star-p224.aspx

I ordered one of these and she is the most amazing chicken - fast growing hardy, friendly, smart, mild and social with the other chickens, pretty - I really want more of these. Reading good things about this particular breed from this particular vendor (just not sure which hatchery they are actually getting them from but who cares they are only like $3 each)

Last edited:
That sounds like a wonderful mix.  I am going for something similar - Adding Langshans as well and probably fewer JG's (probably mostly JG's like a Rooster or two) and in place of all Orpingtons using Buff color sex link chickens because I am so in love with the way they grow so fast and have such good temperaments similar to the Orpington but the Orpington for me is maybe too similar to the Langshan and Australorp.

Especially since Orpingtons were bred from Langshans and later Australorps were bred from Orpingtons I feel some fresh genes like the Red Star might be better to freshen things up.  The Jersey was also bred from Langshans+Javas+Brahmas.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Golden-Buff-Red-Star-p224.aspx

I ordered one of these and she is the most amazing chicken - fast growing hardy, friendly, smart, mild and social with the other chickens, pretty - I really want more of these.  Reading good things about this particular breed from this particular vendor (just not sure which hatchery they are actually getting them from but who cares they are only like $3 each)

I have one Red Sex Link but she is so shy, not letting us get near to her. Maybe more would help. The issue I have with my BA's and JG's is that they are hatchery birds and small. I want some "true" breeds. I may reconsider. You have been a great help. I will check out those others.

I have one Red Sex Link but she is so shy, not letting us get near to her. Maybe more would help. The issue I have with my BA's and JG's is that they are hatchery birds and small. I want some "true" breeds. I may reconsider. You have been a great help. I will check out those others.
Where did you get your Red Link from? Mine is not quite "friendly" but close - with just a little coaxing she will come right up. I just trained her that every time I am going to give treats I give a couple of bok bok's chicken sounds then call out "special treat special treat" and then toss in some shredded tomato and veggies like zuchinni or figs - figs are in bloom now too they love those and this "special treat" call will get her to come right over where I can grab her. She either doesnt complain or gives a single "squaak" when I take her in both hands and sit in the chair to sooth her down she will sit there on my leg for up to 5 minute before she jumps off. Very sweet bird. Darn-it just realized I'm probably never going to be able to eat this chicken now. Ya'll need to remind me never to make a food chicken into a lap pet chicken in the future.. =)

Last edited:
Where did you get your Red Link from?  Mine is not quite "friendly" but close - with just a little coaxing she will come right up.  I just trained her that every time I am going to give treats I give a couple of bok bok's chicken sounds then call out "special treat special treat" and then toss in some shredded tomato and veggies like zuchinni or figs - figs are in bloom now too they love those and this "special treat" call will get her to come right over where I can grab her.  She either doesnt complain or gives a single "squaak" when I take her in both hands and sit in the chair to sooth her down she will sit there on my leg for up to 5 minute before she jumps off.  Very sweet bird.  Darn-it just realized I'm probably never going to be able to eat this chicken now.  Ya'll need to remind me never to make a food chicken into a lap pet chicken in the future..  =)

I bought my Red Sex Link from our feed store, at the reguest of my grand daughter. I have 22 chickens, she is the youngest, and getting anything is difficult with 21 ahead of her! She is chased and pecked if she comes near any scrap. I put the scraps in her pen when she is in. One of these days I will try to keep all the rest in and coax her to come. Too many right now.

Back
Top Bottom