Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Do jersey Giants and other duel purpose birds require a roost? I am planning on getting some this summer for meat and am trying to figure out what they will need in their tractor.
Mine use a ramp to go to their roost pole. They all have the good sense to use it now they are older.

ChickenChaser - yes, I wholeheartedly agree! A well-bred Jersey Giant is a beautiful sight to behold.

Just a quick reminder for those of you breeding standard-bred birds: it's never a good idea to allow them access to a roost. For those with hatchery-bred birds, it's probably fine; however, the weight of a properly bred Giant can cause leg damage when they hop off a roost.

So i am now in the market for a new rooster. Mine is not long for this world (he attacked my youngest) so i am looking for a very gental breed and was pointed to the Jersey Giants. I was already planning to get some of these for meat this year so it would work well for me.
I am wondering what everyones experience with these birds are? Has anyone had i mean bird (i do know that every bird is different and even a gental breed might make an aggressive rooster)

I received mine from "Maria's Jersey Giants". Couldn't be happier! So health and strong. They spend more time riding on my shoulder than on the ground.
I hatched mine from her eggs. Great hatch rate, at least 85% with styrofoam incubator on my first try.
That speaks to her great bloodline not my ability.
Currently have 20 of my own flocks incubating now. Fri. We should see some pipping.
So i am now in the market for a new rooster. Mine is not long for this world (he attacked my youngest) so i am looking for a very gental breed and was pointed to the Jersey Giants. I was already planning to get some of these for meat this year so it would work well for me.
I am wondering what everyones experience with these birds are? Has anyone had i mean bird (i do know that every bird is different and even a gental breed might make an aggressive rooster)

Back
Top Bottom