Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hi everyone. I am new to chickens and to Jersey Giants.

out of 20 chicks (10 Barred Rock and 10 Giants) it looks like we have only 2 Giant roos the rest are all pullets.

They are about 4 1/2 weeks old right now and the roos are NUTS! They both HATE being picked up - we pick up all our chickies regularly and the BRs are so socialized. The bigger girl giants are very confident and social but our roos are still a little small and very shy. I've heard such great stories (like the little girls turning the roo into a live baby doll! SO CUTE!).

Any tips on what we can do?

this is Maniac - he's so pretty and such a nut!
photo-4.jpg

and congratulations birdguy... so sweet - I miss those days too!

Wow, I hadn't realized so many people were interested in Cinda Brent lines. To anyone else who is interested, I spent about 3 weeks straight researching Jersey Giants online and came up with a list of breeders from all price spectrums and genetic lines (and in some cases, cheaper doesn't necessarily mean less quality...). If anyone is interested, I can send you a link to the names/emails of the breeders I managed to scrounge up. I'd say I found about 20-30, but only a few who specialize in whites, only one of which actually uses breeder stock, as far as I can tell. Anyway, anyone who wants the list is free to it. Just PM me with your email and I'll send it out to you. By sending the list, I'm not endorsing any one breeder, as I haven't had a chance to grow out ANY of their chicks yet (though I should have that information in the coming months...)... It's just informational purposes only, and like any egg-buying venture, it's all a crapshoot
smile.png

(Oh, and obviously, if you get my list and aren't on it, but want to be, let me know and I will fix the problem.)
big_smile.png

-Sara

Last edited:
Peppercorn...everything I've read...and had shared with me regarding Jersey roos...are that they are gentle and mild mannered. However...you never know with your boys genetic background...it just depends on what the breeder is 'working" on. My Jersey's are due to hatch tomorrow and I will for sure be keeping one. I hope to have enough to choose from...to pick one that has great color, size, and personality. (I have had my share of fiesty roo's and want a friendly one!)

Quote:
Ditto on laid back Jerseys. Sorry you're having problems, Peppercorn, but keep at it! What I like to do when I have some that seem more skittish is being offering treats in my hands. I'm not sure your setup will allow it, but what I do is sit on the ground and sprinkle scratch around me, closer & closer each day, so they get used to coming right up to & hanging around you. Then, when they are comfy, no scratch on the ground...put it in your hand and leave your hand very still on our leg/knee. WHen they begin eating from your hand, it's not long before they will be running right up to you for treats! I don't recall the age of yours, but scratch may not be appropriate yet - but there are treats suitable for any age chicken, just use what's right for them and something they really enjoy.

And....FIFELAKE....What's going on??

Quote:
Ditto on laid back Jerseys. Sorry you're having problems, Peppercorn, but keep at it! What I like to do when I have some that seem more skittish is being offering treats in my hands. I'm not sure your setup will allow it, but what I do is sit on the ground and sprinkle scratch around me, closer & closer each day, so they get used to coming right up to & hanging around you. Then, when they are comfy, no scratch on the ground...put it in your hand and leave your hand very still on our leg/knee. WHen they begin eating from your hand, it's not long before they will be running right up to you for treats! I don't recall the age of yours, but scratch may not be appropriate yet - but there are treats suitable for any age chicken, just use what's right for them and something they really enjoy.

And....FIFELAKE....What's going on??

Nothing is going on Wynette but after treating my older "new" hens for mites....(I had to research under diseases and health of chickens) and found out info on Marek's...just decided better to be safe than sorry. I guess ignorance is bliss...I have never had a chicken die here on our farm but when I read what Marek's does and how it lasts basically forever...just decided to vaccinate so I can sleep at night. I stopped reading "side effects" on any of my own prescribed meds several years ago...and no longer research human symptoms online due to my tendency to to get scared to death. Well....it happened when I read up on chicken diseases. I am considering vaccinating for everything possible but I'm trying to "get a grip". I am just a worrier and tend to OC.
roll.png
I emailed you twice!

Well, a bit of OC isn't such a horrible thing when it comes to the health of our critters, methinks! Are you SURE you have no pips yet??

Quote:
I read the Giants thread daily and just want to ad somethig on gentling down the fowl. The best thing I have ever found for a agressive or wild chicken is take a piece of over ripe Banana and catch the bird and hold under one arm and let it peck the banana and if the bird is reluctant just stick the beak in the banana. While holding the bird take a finger on the other hand and rub the neck, if he is a bird that pecks put your hand up closer to the head and still rub gently. Never seen a rooster I could not gentle.

I had Black straight from the Miller farm at one time.

Quote:
Don...I KNEW there was more to you than met the eye! I tried to get my hands on some pure Miller birds many years ago, and could not find anyone that could say with certainty that their lines were pure. Golda was a wonderful steward of this breed!

Wynette - he's come around almost instantly!! Last night I brought in marigold petals - all the girls LOVE them so they made a big commotion and who should sidle up but Maniac! Even before Rooroo the less nutty one. I'm not pushing him at all - but he was by my side for pansies this morning and he's being much more gentlemanly. Funny thing is KCC (Kentucky Cute Chicken - named by my daughter) who was the most outgoing pullet in the Giants is now getting aggressive the the roos! She went at both of them this morning chest bumping -- they both just gave her her space. Females are females the animal world over! and I'm calling my boy dog a roo all the time now.

I have another pullet who is named Pastebutt - one guess why - and during her rough time I accidentally put her into shock - I thought I'd killed her. But she snapped out of it and HATED me afterwards. Now with these flowers, she's thinking I'm swell as long as I never attempt to pick her up. These guys love flowers!

and by the way - I have BYC to thank for getting Pastebutt through it all. She never got a pasted over vent she was just all stopped up. She wasn't a big fan of water
roll.png
Oh my gosh - I read all relevant posts and: a small packet of toothpicks and 2 trashed baby ear syringes and about a teaspoon of yogurt later, she was saved. AMAZING! and I learned how to vent sex on the process...
hmm.png
and luckily she decided water was pretty good stuff after all.

Back
Top Bottom