Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:

Not in person but I have heard them from sites off the web.
Yep I should buy about 50 of them.
tongue.gif
to my peeking Tom neighbors and nosy neighbors.
lau.gif

Anyone on here somewhat close to Collegeville, Pa? I have two JG roos and, at most, I only want one. I just can't decide between the black and the blue...

I hope today wasn't too cold, my hubby put the baby jerseys out in the tractor and their cardboard box with a door in it blew over so they didn't have any wind protection and we were gone into the hosp to see his Dad. They aren't fully feathers yet, maybe between 3-4 weeks old. Oh boy.

Quote:
Hope your chicks are ok ChicwannaB!
Looking like 7 of my 13 Jersey's may be roos!
sad.png

ChicwannaB - It did get awfully chilly last night...crossed fingers they'll be okay! If there are several, they will help keep each other warm. I think you go them from Chickenstock, right? Those would have been from my original line (which I no longer have...in all honesty, they didn't have great conformation so I sold them all), BUT - they wer SUPER hardy and excellent layers!
thumbsup.gif

fifelake - now see, YOU frown, I would be thrilled! It's funny how much I've changed on what I want in a hatch. To me, a really good rooster is much more important than the hens, so I'm always happy to have a good number to choose from!

Soaring Chicks - I adore the Tomaru, but they're not the best egg layers. They are beautiful, and actually the only ones that my husband is the least bit interested in. Every time he sees them he comments on how beautiful they are. They are sort of "regal" looking in a much different way than a huge, honkin' Jersey! But I keep the Tomaru around because I do so enjoy that beautiful crow, so they are my "just for fun" breed. I honestly cannot imagine what a cross would look like! Maybe some day I'll give it a whirl, though!

I've looked for the answer to my question in the BYC archives and via Google - and couldn't find it. So I thought I'd ask here. One of the chickens I got from a local farm is a "Little Black Giant." She's beautiful - I love the green and purple transluscence of her black feather. From the name "Little Black Giant" I figure she's a smaller version of a Jersey Giant. Not a bantam, though. She and my New Hampshire Red are the largest birds in my 7-bird flock. Am I right that Little Black Giant is just a small version of Jersey Giant? Thanks!

Well...Wynette you know I have to limit my numbers. Plus...right now I have 12 red comets and a roo in one coop for my egg buyers...then a persistent broody who hatched 4 chicks out a week ago is in another coop and then in my 8X10 coop I have my 5 English Orps and 13 Jersey chicks. The Orps are at 11 wks. and quite large and even though everyone says the Jerseys are slow to grow...they look almost as big as the Orps. I need to make decisions on which Jerseys to keep so it won't get crowded in the coop. BUT...everyone says to keep as long as possible to make the decision as to which to keep and which to cull. Wish you lived close by so you could look and help!! I am not wanting to kick out the mama hen and chicks...nor get rid of my egg layers yet. So I seem to be stuck.

Back
Top Bottom