Jet's Fight: Chapter 8

Quote:
That stinks.
hmm.png

Here's chapter 5!
smile.png

Chapter 5
"Oh... my... gosh..." Gingernut said, shocked at what she had seen.
"RUUUUN!!!!!!" Sunny shouted.
"SHUT UP," Gingernut scolded softly, "or he'll hear you!"
Into the distance, they had seen a fox- a silver fox, prancing around the meadow. Thankfully he hadn't noticed them- yet.
"Hello? Someone there," the fox asked.
"He heard us," Fenix whispered. "Thanks a lot, Sunny!"
"Oh well. Time to eat lunch anyway! Haha," the fox laughed, running up the hill.
"Woah," Fenix said. "That was a close call! Sunny, don't you ever scream that loud when you see a predator again!"
"Hey, guys, what do you say we eat? It's been about 6 hours since we last ate," Gingernut said.
"Sure, but what's there to eat," Fenix asked.
"Hey, look," Sunny pointed out, "there's a pond and an apple tree!"
They rushed over to the tree and pond for a nice meal of apples and insects.

After the trio had a nice meal, they continued on their adventure, all the way to a beach. They knew they were on the right track, for chicken tracks seemed to walk along the shore. Fenix decided he would ask if any of these seaside clams knew if they had seen Jazzy nearby. But how would he ask? Then he remembered there was one universal word everyone understood and that was, please. So he marched up to a clam and said,
"Excuse me, please," Fenix said. The clam only spit at him.
"Well, that was rude," Gingernut said.
But the chicks had a much more serious problem than rude clams. The sky was turning darker, and darker, while a chilly wind soared across the wetlands.
"Um..." Sunny began, realizing that they were now becoming surrounded by water.
"Uh, Ginger," Fenix said, "I think we're getting surrounded..."
"Fenix, sto-" she began, only to realize that there wasn't an escape anymore. The tide rose so fast, it was already up to their feathered thighs. They didn't have many options now.
"Guys," she said dreadfully, "we only have 1 option left. And that is to swim."
"No," Fenix replied.
"We're chickens, not ducks! We can't swim," Sunny explained.
"We don't have any other favorable choice! The only other one is to drown," Gingernut reasoned. The shore was far and the water was rough, it didn't look good. Fenix and Sunny realized this, but just as they were about to jump in...
"Hey! A sea turtle," Sunny pointed out, excitedly.
"Oh, not again," the turtle bickered. "Every single time the tide comes in some fool gets stuck out here. Look, do you want a ride back to shore or not?"
"Yes, please," Gingernut replied.
"Whatever. Get on," the turtle demanded. Sunny, Fenix, and Gingernut then reluctantly boarded the turtle's back.
"Thanks for saving us," Fenix thanked after they got off the turtle's back unto shore.
"Thanks nothing," the turtle grumbled. "Next time the tide comes in I'll have to rescue someone else. Some life."
"You saved ours," Gingernut said.
"You know what? I save someone just about every month, did you know that," the turtle replied.
"No," Gingernut replied. "I didn't."
"Well," said the turtle, "now you know." And he swam back off into the ocean.

The sun was beginning to set. The group knew they were on the right track. But it was the end of a long day, of hard traveling. The chicks decided they would be the safest high up in a thick pine tree to roost for the night.

The next morning, at dawn, they left their roost and found a little pond. Gingernut spotted some tasty looking minnows. The 3 of them harvested a few for breakfast, but just when they were about to leave, something grabbed Sunny's tail feathers.
To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is. Next one will be up after school and after I walk my dog.
smile.png

Chapter 6
Sunny froze. She knew this wasn't good. The predator yanked her and ran off.
"Sunny," Fenix cried. Gingernut and Fenix chased the predator, who turned out to be a coon.
"Let her go," Gingernut demanded, pecking at the coon. He swatted back with Sunny still in his hand.
But the raccoon wasn't let only one interested in chicken soup for breakfast! A coyote emerged from the bushes into the countryside, trying to kill the coon. High in the sky, a hawk circled over head. This was serious. With the few spurs he had developed, he attempted to spur the raccoon. However, it only payed attention to keeping Sunny in his paws and killing this coyote. The wooshing sound from the hawk was back.
"Go away hawk," Gingernut growled under her breath. "As if we don't have enough problems now."
Even though it was pretty much useless, Fenix spurred the raccoon's paws, causing him to drop Sunny. This got the coyote's attention, and caused him to forget about the coon and direct his attention to Sunny instead. The raccoon fled, but the hawk and coyote stayed to fight.
Gingernut knew she didn't have a chance against the coyote on the ground, but maybe in the air! She took into the highest pine tree she could find, and came diving down feet-first onto the coyote's head. She wounded him, but not by much, and it didn't faze him.
"Take this, coyote," Fenix shouted, charging the coyote and spurring his chest. He whimpered, but still stood up and fought. Fenix then applied the same tactic Gingernut had just used, and climbed up as high as he could go, only this time with his spurs on the coyote's head. This was enough to overwhelm the coyote, and so he fled into the forest. But the battle wasn't over yet.
Woosh.
The chicks knew what to do this time. They all flew up into the pine tree, and used their own wings. Even though they couldn't stay airborne long, it was long enough to dodge an attack from a hawk. The hawk saw the chicks, and zoomed in.
Wooooosh
Fenix was the intented target, but he dodged and counterattacked the hawk once again with his spurs. It only did minor damage, but was enough to get the hawk very angry.
Sunny was frozen from her fear. The hawk took advantage of this and decided to attack her, only to be attacked by Gingernut. She used her claws for her first attack, and then started pecking at his wings to disable its flight. Fenix then spurred the bird's neck, overwhelming it and causing it to fly off.
"That was really close," Gingernut said.
"I think we should get out of here," Sunny announced.
"We should," Fenix agreed. "This is predator territory."

They walked across the countryside for the next few hours, and eventually came across a road. They marveled at this road made of iron, wood, and rock, and decided that they would follow it, until...
"Hey, what's that noise," Gingernut asked.
"I don't know," Sunny responded.
Suddenly, a steel "thing" came storming down this road fast.
"Get out of the road!" Fenix yelled. Sunny stayed staring at it.
"Get out of there," Gingernut shouted, yanking her out of the thing's path at the last second, while it sounded a horn.
"What was that," Sunny asked.
"I don't know," Fenix replied, "but you need to start staying calm when something dangerous comes along. If you shout at the sight of a predator or stay in the path of one of those things, you aren't going to survive."
"Sorry," Sunny said, holding her head low.
They were determined, and continued following this path, but kept their eyes out for another one of those "noisy" animals.

The path lead them to a meadow, full of wild, cotton blossoms.
"You look tired and thirsty," a deer cooed.
"Yes, we are," Gingernut replied. The sun was now setting.
"Well, follow me, I know where a pool is," the deer replied. The chicks followed, and had a drink from the pool and fell asleep cuddling the deer.
Sunny had a dream of being back at the coop, and seeing old friends from the brooder. Fenix's dream was of the flock leaving him with a doting babysitter. Gingernut's dream was very sad, of her being a little chick without feathers, playing with Jazzy. Would it ever be like this again? Would she ever see Jazzy again?
They seemed so real. Gingernut could almost hear Jazzy's voice...
But it wasn't Jazzy's voice at all. In fact, it was a cry for help!
To be continued...

Back
Top Bottom