Join me on my Classroom Hatch-A-Long, support and advice appreciated!

Pics

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hi everyone!
I am SO EXCITED to be preparing for my first incubator hatch, and will be involving my students! I am setting 18 EE/OE eggs on April 19 when we return to school after spring break. I know it is early, but I have LOTS of questions and want to make sure I am prepared to make this as successful as I can for the kids!

Here is the background info:
I have a NR360 incubator, never been used.
I am planning to make a 4way divider for lockdown, mainly so I can separate each color egg. The kids will guess if they think the chicks from each color shell will hatch out the same colors as each other.
Right now, I am tracking the temperature and humidity in my classroom. Today was 20% humidity and 68-70 degrees (outside temps around 40).
At some point, I know I need to calibrate the temp and humidity on the incubator.

Here are a few of my initial questions:
Should I calibrate in my classroom before break? (It will be over a week before I set the eggs).
Should I calibrate at home a day or two before I set eggs?
Should I do both?
How long should I let the incubator run and how soon to hatch?
Should I let it run both at school and at home to test it out?
What else can I be doing to prepare?

I am hoping to have the students help me candle, check temp and humidity, and record development in their egg logs. We will also keep the chicks for 2 weeks after before sending to their forever homes, and the kids will be responsible for feed and water (I will handle poop cleanup!)

Thoughts? Advice? Concerns? I hope some of you will stay with me through my neurotic questioning and preparation to make it to egg setting and hatching!

Thanks so much for the read! I hope you enjoy this experience with me and my students! ❤️

Last edited:
Good. Go ahead and start your bator up and see how it's running now.
The separate thermometers and hygrometers are at school, should I start incubator tonight or wait until tomorrow when I can bring them home?

Back
Top Bottom