Join me on my Classroom Hatch-A-Long, support and advice appreciated!

Pics
That’s a great idea. Yes, I took weights after I picked up the eggs.
If all the kids have their own egg weight's from when you first weighted your eggs you can weigh the eggs now once again to see how many ounces each egg has gained or lost so far. This is one way to tell if any dark eggs are progressing as well as the others. Ask them do they think the egg gained a few ounces or lost a few ounces. Then ask them why they think that. I bet you will get some wild answers.

Today we took weights and compared weight loss to day 0. Weirdly enough, all the eggs lost about 5% so far, except egg D, egg E, and egg F. (I weighed egg D yesterday before disposing of it after seeing the bloodline). E & F, along with C & R seem clear. Would that be an indication those eggs aren’t growing? Egg R is really dark olive, but egg C did lose weight and is light colored & clear. Very interesting stuff to me and the kids!

We also made hypotheses about how many we think will actually hatch, and of those what colors we think the chicks will be, and what color the first chick that hatches will be!

Very fun afternoon. The kids are all hoping for a “stripey” chick lol. Good things lots of EE are “stripey”. 😊

Today we took weights and compared weight loss to day 0. Weirdly enough, all the eggs lost about 5% so far, except egg D, egg E, and egg F. (I weighed egg D yesterday before disposing of it after seeing the bloodline). E & F, along with C & R seem clear. Would that be an indication those eggs aren’t growing? Egg R is really dark olive, but egg C did lose weight and is light colored & clear. Very interesting stuff to me and the kids!

We also made hypotheses about how many we think will actually hatch, and of those what colors we think the chicks will be, and what color the first chick that hatches will be!

Very fun afternoon. The kids are all hoping for a “stripey” chick lol. Good things lots of EE are “stripey”. 😊
Yes, they will be loss of some weight just a few ounces. Is the weight the same on the eggs that are clear from the first weight? Keep checking the olive eggers weight and you should tell from the weight as it should be close to the ones you know have chicks in them. The one's that are clear give them a few more days to see if they are slow starting off or just not fertile at all.

LOL on the "Stripey" chick. I hope you get a few good stripey's I can't wait till I can see some pic's of all the chicks.

Have you got to take any pic's with the kids holding their own eggs? I bet they would love doing that. You may even do the pictures with them holding their own chick to that hatches. It would be cute to send the pictures to the parents as I am sure they are hearing all about it.

As the kids have they ever seen colored eggs other then at Easter time. Then look up the color chart with them and show them all the possible colors the eggs could turn out to be once the chick is big enough to lay.

Have you got to take any pic's with the kids holding their own eggs? I bet they would love doing that. You may even do the pictures with them holding their own chick to that hatches. It would be cute to send the pictures to the parents as I am sure they are hearing all about it.
This is a great idea. Thank you for sharing! I am totally going to do this! Maybe on Day 14 once we throw away all the clears & quitters for good. I’ll make sure everyone has a viable egg. Can do before & after pics, one w egg & one with chick that hatches! ❤️

This is a great idea. Thank you for sharing! I am totally going to do this! Maybe on Day 14 once we throw away all the clears & quitters for good. I’ll make sure everyone has a viable egg. Can do before & after pics, one w egg & one with chick that hatches! ❤️
The kids will love having a picture of them with their eggs and or chick. If you make a corner just for this project add a chair and that is where I would take pictures of the kids with the chicks or eggs. They get to sit in that special chair and you give them the chick to hold to have a picture taken. You can also cover some Large cardboard and use it as a divider and hang some of the kids papers about the project on the cardboard. This way their work is also there and they can see it.

Yes, they will be loss of some weight just a few ounces. Is the weight the same on the eggs that are clear from the first weight? Keep checking the olive eggers weight and you should tell from the weight as it should be close to the ones you know have chicks in them. The one's that are clear give them a few more days to see if they are slow starting off or just not fertile at all.
mine are on day 8 as well (well last night was day 8 but that is when I weighed them) they all lost about the same amount of weight even the ones clear and the ones that may have something and the one that has a chick 100% (just hoping this one didn't quit as it looked good size just didn't see movement or veins till I put pic in black and white). But some have said what it lost doesn't mean much since all eggs should lose in the incubator no matter what.

@Iluveggers now you can teach me. There has to be an easier way to figure out what % an egg loses. LOL I just went through what they should lose and figured out what weights they would be between if they lost that but not sure how to figure out exactly what % they really did lose. I need to go back to 4th grade math (which is sad since I am good in math. hahaa)

Take the starting weight. Multiply it by .05 (5%). That should be the difference of the current weight and original weight. Nex time at day 14, multiply by .1 (10%) & use that instead!

Back
Top Bottom