Join me on my Classroom Hatch-A-Long, support and advice appreciated!

Pics
Hoping at least it will help them get in position correctly! Did you take weights before and at lockdown @DavidReaves

I did not. I checked the air cells to see if they'd grown... which they had, but not nearly as much as shown on some sample graphics. So far, eggs that were on the inside ring the entire time and eggs that were in the outside ring are both hatching.

One other thing:
Before the kids left, they took a guess as to what order the eggs would hatch, and what color chick would hatch from each. I made these signs to hang up on Monday!

1651886866558.jpeg

Did a quick candle and drew air cells myself before leaving today. I wanted a clear line so I know how to set them for lockdown. I removed the turner and added shelf liner also. Will wait til tomorrow (day 18) to bump humidity, and water to second cell, and open the vent for the weekend.

View attachment 3095675
The eggs all looked very dark, I could only see veins in a couple of them. All of them lost weight although I didn’t check individual percentages yet, will do that tonight. I really don’t want to open the incubator tomorrow.

I separated the colors with a homemade divider. If it works well, I might write an artile on how I made it!

View attachment 3095683View attachment 3095678
After I took the pic, I pointed all the pointy ends toward the middle. The widest part of the air cell should be up, correct?
how exciting!!!!!!!!!! I did the same tonight (with out the divider since I only have 1 egg and either way they were all the same breed. haahaa)

Mine lost 11% I marked my air cell but it is saddled so on the side and into the pointy end the rest all looked like chick and maybe some veins? or feathers? LOL I didn't see any movement tonight though. hoping all is still fine.

It would have been interesting to see the difference in weight loss from incubator and under a broody but I didn't re-weigh the ones under Ditzy. I did weigh them to start though so maybe I could weigh them tomorrow just to see.

What day do you start hearing chirps or peeps? Today is day 19…is it possible that tomorrow at school we can hear them? 🥰
Some chicks are noisier than others. The incubator fans are usually pretty loud and cover the chirping of less aggressive chirpers.
Come to think of it, maybe that's why the chicks are happier in the brooder than the incubator. Maybe the fan noise bothers them, or maybe they're claustrophobic... :gig

What day do you start hearing chirps or peeps? Today is day 19…is it possible that tomorrow at school we can hear them? 🥰
I could hear cheeping once they had internally pipped. I went over to check humidity and temp one night near hatch day and was absent-mindedly talking to the eggs and heard CHEEP CHEEP PEEP! and it surprised me so much.That was when I found out a couple had already internally pipped - 3 days before expected hatch... they ended up hatching the following evening.

Last edited:
I could hear cheeping once they had internally pipped. I went over to check humidity and temp one night near hatch day and was absent-mindedly talking to the eggs and hears CHEEP CHEEP PEEP! and it surprised me so much.That was when I found out a couple had already internally pipped - 3 days before expected hatch... they ended up hatching the following evening.
I have stuck my ear up to the vent hole to listen JIC. haahaa!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom