Joining the World of Guineas

Quote:
Which ones are you calling lavender? I am still trying to learn the colors, myself, but what I have read is that you have to go by the thickness of the stripes on the top of the head. The ones that have identical markings as the pearls, just lighter, would be lavender, and I only see one like that? The middle light one.

The one in the corner seems to have a solid head, with no stripes, which would be the other color that I was thinking possibly a type of blue.

The two I got look just like the middle light one, which I think we all agree is a lavender...right?? I'm confusing myself, now!
tongue2.gif

Not trying to be rude, I am still trying to figure out the colors. Plus, the colors don't show up well in pics. I just want to know what characteristics you use to determine what's what! Thanks!

Shelly

The one on the front right is not a dundotte, they don't have stripes like that (at least mine never have). The one in the back looks like a pied lavender, then there is a pearl and a regular lavender. I don't know what the dark one with white on its head is
idunno.gif

The brown one might be just brown, or maybe chocolate, though I don't think it's dark enough for that.

Try this site for comparison:
http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/colorchart/

Scroll to the bottom for keet pics.

The one in the back corner is a lavender pied, at least that's how it looks from here.
The one in front of it (dark with white spots) is a pearl, and the one next to it (kind of purple colored) is a lavender.

The one with white on its face and breast looks like it might be a bronze or a royal purple, or it could just be a pearl. I'm leaning more towards a pied pearl on that one.

ETA: The brown one does look like that's what it is: a brown
smile.png

Last edited:
I look at those pics and descriptions and the stripes and stuff don't match what they say/show and I just get further confused....lol

The one in the back corner in the pic does look different than the next light one up, which concensus seems to say is a lavendar.... The one in the back corner has one thick stripe with one thin one on each side of its head. (As opposed to the 'lavendar' one that has the thick stripe and two thin ones on each side of it.)

Quote:
Is it really? I used to hatch hundreds of keets that looked exactly like that. I had pieds.

Pied Guineas are pretty rare. I have only one pied and the rest are normal.

If you get a bird with the pied gene and they reproduce for ya, then you should be real happy.

If I spot a Pied in ANY color i make sure I have em' home after the sale.

Mostly it is the Pearls, but I have seen Lavender and Royal Blue.

Of course we are all looking at ONE picture.

Every on that has commented obviously knows thier KEETS and Guineas.

My favorite color so far are my browns (they are'nt dun).

The browns i have looked exactly like the one in the right front.

Guineas.jpg

Okay, if you look at the one in the front center with white on it, and the solid one of the same color, their head stripes are the same. The only difference is that the one with white on it has white on it, so some of the stripes are missing. pied pearl, pearl
Royal purple have squiggly lines on their heads Royal Purple, so it can't be that.

The one in the back corner could be one of the other 'blue' colors, but it is impossible to tell at that angle. It could be coral blue, but I can't see if it has stripes. But it does look very blue. It also appears to be pied, which would explain the white wings and on its head. pied coral blue

The one in front looks like a brown.

The one that looks lavender is lavender.​

Last edited:
All of them do have solid striping on their heads.... My camera is not charged up....just went out there with my cellphone again but wasn't getting much of a good shot at them...and didn't want to catch them and do individual pics at this hour. LOL

caf.gif

Quote:
Is it really? I used to hatch hundreds of keets that looked exactly like that. I had pieds.

Pied Guineas are pretty rare. I have only one pied and the rest are normal.

If you get a bird with the pied gene and they reproduce for ya, then you should be real happy.

If I spot a Pied in ANY color i make sure I have em' home after the sale.

Mostly it is the Pearls, but I have seen Lavender and Royal Blue.

Of course we are all looking at ONE picture.

Every on that has commented obviously knows thier KEETS and Guineas.

My favorite color so far are my browns (they are'nt dun).

The browns i have looked exactly like the one in the right front.

Lol . . . go down to where I lived in high school and round yourself up as many pieds as you want! It got to the point where I was hatching nothing but pieds, and I missed being able to hatch my plain ol' pearls. Now I know why all the feed stores looked at me funny when I sold them my keets . . . some even asked if I was sure they were guineas, and then I had my turn to look at them funny. I guess pieds weren't seen often by them, either!
lol.png

My pearl guinea died today for no apparent reason.
hmm.png
sad.png

Hadn't noticed anything strange or wrong priorly. Tonight I found it sitting in a corner of the brooder box dead.

Back
Top Bottom