JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

You aren't going with wire floors?

You will be doing a LOT of cleaning with the doe cage and the growout cage. Growing bunnies poop a lot, especially as they get close to butchering size.

Rabbits do a lot of their pooping while eating, so maybe you could use a wire-topped litterbox that they sit on to eat. That would keep them from sitting in their own poop as much.
I am used to messy animals and lots of cleanup! I did make the pans out of material that can be brought outside and hosed down. I plan on using some sort of litter too until they understand the litterbox; probably wood pellets at the bottom and aspen shavings on top (not for the nest-box). I had three male rats at one point so I have learned how to manage stink, haha.
The litterbox in the feeding area is a good idea; I'll hang the hay bag over there too.
I'm kind of limited to this as my neighborhood doesn't allow animals to live outdoors permanently. I figured at least I could do something to get experience until I have land someday. My family is small and we don't eat a ton so a single rabbit's meat should last a few days if it's served with something, which is nice.

Price breakdown; I think I’ve done pretty well so far!

Metal pet food bowls - $2 each
Ceramic water bowls (human grade) - $1 each

50lb bag of Purina rabbit food - $16
50lb bale of hay - $18

C&C grids - $75 for enough to make 3 cages
Corrugated plastic sheets - $8 each
Zip ties - 100 for $5
Each cage roughly comes out to $35 total, and they’re nice and roomy.

Now I just need the wood pellets (have aspen shavings already), litter boxes, a nest box, and rabbits. Can’t wait!

I’m getting two does and a buck! If I have the option, should I get a rex doe, Californian doe, and a rex buck, or a rex doe, Californian doe, and a Californian buck?

I’m getting two does and a buck! If I have the option, should I get a rex doe, Californian doe, and a rex buck, or a rex doe, Californian doe, and a Californian buck?

I'm pretty sure the rex gene is recessive.
So if you cross a Rex with a Californian, you will get bunnies with normal fur.

If you want any bunnies with rex fur, get the Rex buck to go with the Rex doe, and then you will also have crossbred bunnies when you breed the Californian doe to him.

I'm pretty sure the rex gene is recessive.
So if you cross a Rex with a Californian, you will get bunnies with normal fur.

If you want any bunnies with rex fur, get the Rex buck to go with the Rex doe, and then you will also have crossbred bunnies when you breed the Californian doe to him.
Thank you!

50 pounds of hay is a lot of hay.
26CF5C97-CD2B-4033-808A-61C42399DA5B.jpeg
0D8D70E2-3663-47B1-B43B-21B503131B07.jpeg

Finished two out of three final exams! (Exotic Animal Clinical Management and Food Animal Clinical Management). The big one is tomorrow though. (Anatomy and Physiology). :oops:

After tomorrow's exam I'm going to the store to buy more corrugated plastic for the grow-out cage. Also might look at a pet shop around here to see if they by chance have a Flemish Giant. Probably not but one can dream.

I use to raise New Zealand Whites for meat, now I've switched over to standard rex. I raise several hundred a year. I have Black Otter, Blue Otter, Black, Blue, White, Castors, and Opals. I make more money on the rex than I did with the NZW's. I sell the meat, pelts, and manure, and have a hard time keeping up with production.

I may get a little attached.
View attachment 2654639

View attachment 2654637
Black otter doe with litter of kits
View attachment 2654638.
Processing some for pelts and meat. These produced an average 3# carcasses
View attachment 2654634
Growing out some fryers.
View attachment 2654645
What age did you butcher them for pelts? :0 I'm really interested in rex but I've heard most don't butcher at 10 weeks for pelt, but never quite say when they *do* haha

I called. The pet store only has Holland lops. Cute but too small for my use.
Craig's list is a great place to find Flemish Giants in my area. Where are you located?

FGs are big rabbits. They need much bigger cages than a red or NZ, they take longer to grow, eat more feed before reaching processing weight, and the ratio of bone is higher, so they aren't the most desirable meat rabbit. Pelts are huge though, and I think they are ok when cross bred with another breed.

Back
Top Bottom