July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

My hatch rate wasn't much better 8/24 from start to finish and I almost lost the 8th one... I don't know why I just felt something was not right so I candled the remaining eggs... I had a humidity issue really late on and all 5 were shrink wwrapped... 2 Japanese bantams looked smaller than the 3rd in gestation and since Japanese bantams have the lethal short legged gene maybe that's why they failed on top of being shrink wrapped? Of the silkies that were shrink wrapped 1 was malpositioned and the other seemed to have passed just before being able to pip.. My last chick I checked on yep shrink wrapped with just it's beak out unable to move so I had to assist... caused it to bleed a little too and was afraid I was going to lose it but that lil chick is fine now :)
Well, at least you saved one! I lost one I could have saved but waited too long... learning.

Well we only had 2 out of 15 for our first broody hen attempt. I think it was just too blasted hot and she was such a dedicated first timer she over cooked them. The two eggs that hatched were the two that were at the very front edge of the nest so I think they remained the coolest.

We cracked open the remaining 9 that were still on the nest today and they were quite developed and rotten. Looks like they were all starting off okay.

The good news is my mama hen is doing fantastic with her babies. I let everyone out together for awhile this afternoon and the other hens are a bit spooked and very respectful.

A few photos of our chocolate orp babies with their black australorp mama!

So cute! I wish mine were outside with a mama instead of in my kitchen with a heat lamp!

Day 21 Update:

Okay, so nothing was happening AT ALL throughout day 20 and we were getting pretty discouraged. I did slip my most accurate digital thermometer probe back into the incubator early in day 20 since I overlooked adding it back after the final turn on day 18 and start of lockdown
he.gif
. To my dismay the temp was indeed running low, so throughout day 19 and into 20 the incubator was running around 97 - 98 F. Okay, nothing drastic, but certainly NOT OPTIMAL. All this got us really discouraged and irritable, to say the least. Begrudgingly we went to sleep.
th.gif

Woke up for a good start into day 21 and saw temps and humidity had tanked again
ep.gif
. Thinking air conditioning kicking in overnight sucked ambient humidity out of air as well as keeping things on cool side. Temp was again down to the 98 level and humidity was at 51%. Got really discouraged and down. Went to squirt the sponge on side of incubator to get humidity back up and heard the first CHIRP.
wee.gif

Dismay started to turn. Got incubator back up to 99 - 100 F reading on trusted thermometer and humidity back to 65% level (60% was target, but 60 - 70 level is very acceptable since dry hatch method was used). All this chirping started happening at 5:40 am. First pip occurred at 10:53 am (logged)
celebrate.gif
. Officially our day 21 ends at 7:30 pm. As of right now, 7:00 pm, we have lots of chirping still going on and a total off three pips.

Pip Count:
Barred Rock = 0
Delaware = 2
Maran = 1

Eggs are arranged in incubator according to breed and BR section does have chirping so I think these numbers are going to start changing in next several hours. Due to temps. the hatch will certainly not be uniform and most likely delayed at least 24 hours. Hopefully lots more pipping tonight and hopefully some zipping tomorrow afternoon
fl.gif

Last edited:
Day 21 Update:

Okay, so nothing was happening AT ALL throughout day 20 and we were getting pretty discouraged. I did slip my most accurate digital thermometer probe back into the incubator early in day 20 since I overlooked adding it back after the final turn on day 18 and start of lockdown :he . To my dismay the temp was indeed running low, so throughout day 19 and into 20 the incubator was running around 97 - 98 F. Okay, nothing drastic, but certainly NOT OPTIMAL. All this got us really discouraged and irritable, to say the least. Begrudgingly we went to sleep. :th

Woke up for a good start into day 21 and saw temps and humidity had tanked again :eek: . Thinking air conditioning kicking in overnight sucked ambient humidity out of air as well as keeping things on cool side. Temp was again down to the 98 level and humidity was at 51%. Got really discouraged and down. Went to squirt the sponge on side of incubator to get humidity back up and heard the first CHIRP. :weee

Dismay started to turn. Got incubator back up to 99 - 100 F reading on trusted thermometer and humidity back to 65% level (60% was target, but 60 - 70 level is very acceptable since dry hatch method was used). All this chirping started happening at 5:40 am. First pip occurred at 10:53 am (logged) :celebrate . Officially our day 21 ends at 7:30 pm. As of right now, 7:00 pm, we have lots of chirping still going on and a total off three pips. 

Pip Count:
Barred Rock = 0
Delaware = 2
Maran = 1

Eggs are arranged in incubator according to breed and BR section does have chirping so I think these numbers are going to start changing in next several hours. Due to temps. the hatch will certainly not be uniform and most likely delayed at least 24 hours. Hopefully lots more pipping tonight and hopefully some zipping tomorrow afternoon :fl .

Wow! What a relief after a rocky lockdown.

Day 18... Lockdown. I turned them for the last time yesterday morning (it is almost 4am here) and jacked the humidity up to 60%. I contemplated laying down paper towels under the eggs but the way I have it set up is so I need to slide half of the "flooring" back to get to the water so I didn't end up doing that. Since it isn't chicken wire there are no sharp edges or anything so I am somewhat confident in that decision.
Now.. we wait. & keep an eye on the lightbulb. My replacement bulbs blow just as quickly as the last kind. So.. that is one thing on a long list of things I will be seeking to improve for next time. Good thing I've got lots of time, may be a whole revamp lol

Ah, and out of 38 eggs 31 made it to lockdown. But some of these are "benefit of the doubt eggs" seeing as I am dealing with all that incubation cluelessness ;)

So.. We will see.

I'm loving all the baby chickie pics. Congrats, everyone. You all have done so well! :)
I'm happy for all of you. I will be happy for two or three successful chickies but y'all rock these incubations! Awesome.

I'm loving all the baby chickie pics. Congrats, everyone. You all have done so well! :)
I'm happy for all of you. I will be happy for two or three successful chickies but y'all rock these incubations! Awesome.

I'm right there with you. If the 3 hatch that I have left I will have a 50% hatch rate. It's my first time so still learning

So I just candled my 3 last eggs. They are at 17 days. 2 I saw were moving. But the other one I haven't seen move at all. I see the veins still. So at the point would a dead egg still produce a blood ring??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom