July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

End of day 23 and I have 17 chicka out of 19 eggs. All very healthy. I had 1 who rolled on its back for 12 hours but it seems really good now. I will leave the last 2 for another day. 10 pure White Chanteclers, 4 Chantecler/Maran and 3 grey Silkie chicks.

End of day 23 and I have 17 chicka out of 19 eggs. All very healthy. I had 1 who rolled on its back for 12 hours but it seems really good now. I will leave the last 2 for another day. 10 pure White Chanteclers, 4 Chantecler/Maran and 3 grey Silkie chicks.

That's excellent!
I'm up to 15 hatched. Day 23 ends for two of the remaining eggs at 4:30 pm, and starts for the rest at 5:30 pm. Then 24-hours to go.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. The Chanty/Maran chicks all hatched out yellow so I hope when they feather they show some color.

I guess it means I won't be selling any right away. Haha. I'll have to see how they feather first. I have a BCM that hatched with a yellow/white beak. I didn't expect that.

I'd say the adoption was a success. And I just thought she was protective of her eggs... I got pecked several times just reaching in to move the food bowl. Lol.

Final update probably. I lost three chicks today. Hard day. So, here is how it all went down. I lost four chicks total that I know for sure were definitely alive. There were two malpositioned chicks. One pipped while everyone else was hatching out and didn't hang on until no others were pipped, so I expected to lose that one. There was one that pipped and zipped, but got stuck. My best guess is she was very close to the light in the incubator when she zipped, and so dried out on the inside mid-zip. Because I assisted her and her head was stuck inside. She was wearing her shell like a helmet. I dipped my finger in the humidity water and wet it for her and she broke free. She was freaked out for a while though... But appeared healthy. She died suddenly this morning. I know why. I corrected the placement of the heat lamp last night because I turn the air in the house off at night and didn't want them overheating. Hubs came in this morn and blasted fan over brooder and air conditioner. Didnt put the lamp back down closer to the chicks. They got cold. The youngest to hatch had some issues, panting but not wanting to eat or drink, panting when cold, since shortly after she hatched. She passed away a short time ago. Finally, when I went to clean the brooder out of eggs that did not hatch (a lot of them, my hatch rate was abysmal) I found another malposition still alive. I didn't know what to do but assist her. I did so, but she didn't make it either.
So. I have four chicks. Terrible hatch rate. Today was tough.
I've put more photos up on Flickr if anyone is interested, and I will probably add a few more as long as I have the chicks.
Thanks for the support guys. Looks like I still have a ton to learn, and I will have to do that and make some changes to the incubator before I try again.
I wish you all the best of luck in all you do. :)

Back
Top Bottom