July 2017 Hatchalong

KIMG1290.JPG

The first two fluffy butts

Well, we had the power go out for a while yesterday, while I wasn't home. I got in and found the incubator was down to 90. Out of 14 shipped eggs, we only had two that were growing. I candled them yesterday, after I got the temps back up for a while, and only found one moving. They weren't at 90 real long, venturing a guess as to maybe 30 - 45 minutes. I candled them and only found 1 moving. They are due to hatch on the 27th. Guess time will tell.... And very sorry @td7590 , I've been there before. It's devastating!

Well, we had the power go out for a while yesterday, while I wasn't home. I got in and found the incubator was down to 90. Out of 14 shipped eggs, we only had two that were growing. I candled them yesterday, after I got the temps back up for a while, and only found one moving. They weren't at 90 real long, venturing a guess as to maybe 30 - 45 minutes. I candled them and only found 1 moving. They are due to hatch on the 27th. Guess time will tell.... And very sorry @td7590 , I've been there before. It's devastating!

IME a power outage does not do much damage unless it is extensive. I have been without power for a whole day during incubation with no ill effects, regardless of what day they are on, though I hear the earlier the better. Good luck!

Three bantam EEs hatched and the last is DIS :( I have not opened it to see why yet. I also have three guineas hatched and so far the rest are still alive and should be hatching today or tomorrow and I should have all of those sold by Saturday. I got a shipment of 29 bantam chicks today and so I have a lot of chicks but 10 of those will be also sold Saturday at the swap.

I haven't been able to check in this week because I've been teaching a Harry Potter Camp and also cross country started back up. However I had a pretty good week. I had ordered an English Orpington Assortment from My Pet Chicken. $90 for 7 eggs, 2 made it to lockdown, and only one hatched. Bummed. BUT, I ordered 6+ RIR bantam eggs and the kat sent 12.

Whoops I wasn't finished. 9 of those made it to lockdown and all hatched. 9 chicks for $40 is about $4.50 each, which seems a good price.

I think I don't buy super expensive eggs again. They did give me a$5 credit toward a future purchase. (Slow clap)

I also ordered some chicks. So there are 25 baby chicks in the basement. When we started this 3 months ago, my husband thought 6 was too many... #chickenmath

One of the chicks died today. 4 days old, they all seemed to be eating and drinking fine. I clean the brooder 2x per day and no one has loose stool. Not sure what happened. :(

Back
Top Bottom