July 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I bought 6 ayam a month or so back for arrival through the post but although the eggs were well packed the air sacks were ruptured and non of them were viable 😒 since then i have bought 3 hens ( 1 prob around 9 months 2 anout 3 montns ) and a cock ( quite young but started to say his first words today🤭) i have also got some more ayam eggs and some derbyshire red cap eggs in my incubator (r-com 20) and should be ready on the 21st , today is candle day and im very apprehensive even though i drove a 110 mile round trip to collect myself rather than risk post, im not sure i want to know 🙈🙉🙊. Pls all cross fingers for me!

Update, its looking like 3 to 4 out of 6 ayam are fertile and 2 to 3 out of 4 derbyshire red caps are fertile 😊 i was hoping all were lol. But Aesop has proved himself yet again

Last edited:
:frow Guinea mom here. I've 5 eggs in lockdown now. They went in at 24 days bc one had internally pipped. That was Tuesday night.
I was under the impression that lockdown meant not to open for any reason, and I had a hard time w/humidity that I was even more leery of opening. But after reading the assisted hatch article, I went ahead a recandled just now. 4 are grinding their way through internally, one is through & peeping. The one that had internally pipped is silent & still.
I had put two containers of water in to stabilize humidity so topped those off.
I had used paper tape to seal the top (Eco II Brinsea) - that model doesn't have "vents". Anyway, after doing that, temp & humidity have remained spot on. I did quick lift & grabs to candle & they still held.
Long story short,my efforts haven't been very spot on lately, so not sure what to do w/the silent egg.

I've got a pip in one egg and down to 3 eggs left being viable. Today is hatch day. I've forgotten how terrible hatch rates are with shipped eggs since it has been over a year since I ordered any.
I started with 16 eggs from young birds, and by lockdown it was down to 4 that looked promising and 1 maybe. One just left the egg, and another one is working on it.

Back
Top Bottom