Here's the bloody egg situation...

Attachments

• IMG_20230722_135856_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230722_135856_HDR.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230722_135900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230722_135900_HDR.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 9
So it's about 83 in the coop. It's not super sunny today, I think that's helping.

Hmmm, that's around 28 Celsius, that's a bit on the warm side for the hen I'd think. Any way of putting a fan in there?

Here's the bloody egg situation...

Oh dear... Any way of helping the little one out? Is the egg still bleeding? With that much blood, I'd be afraid the chick lost too much... You'll probably need to give it electrolyte water for a boost if it hatches completely.

So the second incubator I locked the farther along eggs down in wasn't keeping heat well, so I moved them back. Then noticed one egg is rocking. So I moved it again to keep it from getting rolled with the turner. Then went to move the other two that are farther along.. AND I DROPPED ONE. Ya'll can feel my pain. RIP poor little chicken. Fully formed of course, but egg yolk not absorbed and went all over the place. Blood vessels broke. I'm a TERRIBLE chicken mama.

The egg that's rocking might be trembling in fear.

So the second incubator I locked the farther along eggs down in wasn't keeping heat well, so I moved them back. Then noticed one egg is rocking. So I moved it again to keep it from getting rolled with the turner. Then went to move the other two that are farther along.. AND I DROPPED ONE. Ya'll can feel my pain. RIP poor little chicken. Fully formed of course, but egg yolk not absorbed and went all over the place. Blood vessels broke. I'm a TERRIBLE chicken mama.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! :hugs

You are not a terrible chicken mama. Accidents happen.

So sorry that happened. Don't be too hard on yourself. :hugs

I cleared out my broodies’ nest today (community guinea nest:rolleyes:) and dropped 3 of the 9 eggs present.
Immediately candling, I found the first two to be clear (under/undeveloped) and… the third egg was far along: feathers, some yolk not absorbed, beautiful eyes, and—blood. :hit It was probably going to hatch in ~1 week, and I felt so awful. Closed its shell back over its head, and buried it right away.

What’s left in my incubator—rescued from the broody nest—will continue to be monitored and cared for. I have ~2 eggs in there that are so dark dear the tip, they’re bound to start pipping soon… everyone else is probably still 7+ days out.

Back
Top Bottom