July 4th hatch-a-long

Sorry to sound ignorant, but waht is the 12th of July celebration in rembrance/honor of? I know I could google it, but I like to hear from the locals :)
Perhaps you should have googled it !!!! -lol

It is all about the battle of the Boyne. WIlliam of Orange and the rise of protestantism in ireland.

The Battle of the Boyne was a battle in 1690 between the English King James 11 and the Dutch Prince William of Orange, who, with his wife, Mary 11 (his cousin and James' daughter), had overthrown James in England in 1688. The battle took place across the River Boyne near the town of Drogheda on the east coast of Ireland, and resulted in a victory for William. This turned the tide in Jamse's failed attempt to regain the British crown and ultimately aided in ensuring the continued Protestent acendency in Ireland.

That is just a quick explination.

We have Protestent chickens -lol

Oes

Well I am behind everyone - I had not even thought of the 4th July because we don't celebrate you guys taking America back! -lol

We have here in Ireland 12th July

Gwendolyn is BROODY - OMG!!!!!!!!! I am down to only two hens and one of those is a fugitive! Not mine and hiding out from it real owner who left her behind when they moved! Lilly died a wee while back so of course I am suffering a chicken math crises!

We were thinking what to do and so we cleared out the indoor coop that Lilly was in and disinfected it down as she had a sinuous infection. We gave it a really good scrub so hope it will be ok. Marigold is having to stay in there because I don't want her laying on the live nest. She is not happy as she is used to being in a flock and is now on her own. But I can;t do anything about it Gwen is stuck on her nest and is attacking anything or anyone who dares go near it. I had left two dud eggs in for her to sit and every time Marigold laid in the nest I had to get the egg so she was not happy you would think the darn bird could count! She used to go out to get food but when she realized I was taking eggs she refused to leave the nest. Anyhow last night a friend of ours from church arrived with 6 fertile eggs so I did the swap and pulled two duds and one new laid egg from under her and put in the 6 live eggs.

OMG sooooo Eggcited!!!!!! :weee She should hatch them about 10th - 12th July So anyhow I have no idea what these little guys will be as our friend who is an older lady just said "ohhh they are all sorts all different colours? Which of course was real helpful! -lol " We are praying for hens because I can;t keep roos so we will see 6 hens would be lovely but we all know 100% hatch is rare and 6 girls would be a bit of a miracle! Watch this space !

Oes - the chicken math issue is being solved!

Well I set for a 9th - 10th hatch (my first one) so I'll be following along closely to yours to judge how I'm doing. Wish I figured out a lot of these treads sooner. Information overload.

I am glad that you are hatching eggs for 9-10th Gwen is still sitting fine so we are hoping and praying that she will see it through. Just in case she does not and it;s all a bit borring for her - we have a back up incubator just in case!

Good luck with your hatch how many did you set?

Oes

Put in 36. 12 are local mixed breeds and the remaining 24 are from my leghorn and leghorn cross. Biggest problem is I had a 50% fertility rate on the ones I cracked from my hens so I am just hoping that some I put in will take. This is more of a trial run to see how the incubator does and to work out some of the problems.

Good luck. I have tried an incubator a few times and can honestly say

The chicken knows best! -lol I am going with the hen this time round.

Oes
yippiechickie.gif

If only I had a broody. None of mine feel compelled to sit on eggs. Hopefully I get a few Wyandotte and Maran hens out of the eggs I was given. from what I researched those breeds should go broody more often than never.

Side note. I couldn't take the wait anymore so I candled 6 random eggs. 4 with good veins and one to dark to see clearly. The last was completely clear. I'll do a full candle on all of them Sunday.

Last edited:
I got all egg-cited until I realized - your day of hatching is July 4th. Good Luck everyone I will be following your hatch.
Caroline

My eggs to hatch are coming the week of the 4th.
wee.gif
pop.gif

If only I had a broody. None of mine feel compelled to sit on eggs. Hopefully I get a few Wyandotte and Maran hens out of the eggs I was given. from what I researched those breeds should go broody more often than never.

Side note. I couldn't take the wait anymore so I candled 6 random eggs. 4 with good veins and one to dark to see clearly. The last was completely clear. I'll do a full candle on all of them Sunday.

Last edited:

I read that increasing oyster shell/calcium encourages broody behavior. I always had crushed oyster shells for my chickens and I never made the link but the girls that were always eating it were the ones who were frequently broody. One Summer I had no eggs and a run full of broody girls.
Caroline

It's so tempting! I've got 5 Rhode Island Red eggs in there and it looks like only 2 are progressing on schedule at Day 8. I can't see anything through the 7 blue Easter Egger eggs, so they will be a mystery
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom