July 4th hatch-a-long

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
Does anybody else have eggs set to hatch July 4? I have 38 silkie and showgirl eggs set to hatch on the 3rd and 4th. My chicks could be any color but mainly black,blue,white and splash. There could even be some lavenders and porcelains!!

Sorry to sound ignorant, but waht is the 12th of July celebration in rembrance/honor of? I know I could google it, but I like to hear from the locals :)
Perhaps you should have googled it !!!! -lol

It is all about the battle of the Boyne. WIlliam of Orange and the rise of protestantism in ireland.

The Battle of the Boyne was a battle in 1690 between the English King James 11 and the Dutch Prince William of Orange, who, with his wife, Mary 11 (his cousin and James' daughter), had overthrown James in England in 1688. The battle took place across the River Boyne near the town of Drogheda on the east coast of Ireland, and resulted in a victory for William. This turned the tide in Jamse's failed attempt to regain the British crown and ultimately aided in ensuring the continued Protestent acendency in Ireland.

That is just a quick explination.

We have Protestent chickens -lol

Oes

Congratulations to those that have babies fresh out of the incubator! :woot

I have had one exciting day! The first Muscovy hen apparently has impeccable timing! She hatched 11 ducklings today and it wasn't even planned! :weee

Not poultry related but our mare also joined in foaling early this am. She had a stunning white John mule with two blue eyes

Right after I posted yesterday, I got my first pip, but on the wrong end of the egg, no where near the air cell. I opened the membrane enough to make sure she was getting air, and waited a patient 21 hrs before assisting her the rest of the way out. When I got home from work today she had started to zip, so I took that as a sign that she was ready. I didn't have any confidence that she'd be able to make it all the way out malpositioned. She's looking good and fluffing up at the moment :jumpy

I do now...got 9 Ayam Cemani eggs and 5 silkie eggs I set yesterday. My hatches always seem to pop out on day 20, so that would be the good old July 4th. I'm slightly freaked out about it bc I will be at cub scout camp with my youngest so my oldest is in charge with my BF being there...but not much help on the hatching front
hmm.png
I leave the 3rd for camp.

Won the eggs for a low price, so timing was a surprise and hadn't planned on any other hatches this year. Just hoping they will pop out and not need assistance. Not sure my 13 year old is up for the task of assisting. Darn cub scout camp and timing!!!
barnie.gif

I have a dozen in the incubator right now! The first 7 were set on the 15th and the rest have been added as they came along. This is my first batch ever and I was SOOO excited to see blood vessels in 3 of them today! I may have some out by the 4th, but more likely 5th or 6th. We'll see :celebrate

Cedar

Back
Top Bottom