July Feed prices thread

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
There was a feed prices thread in April. Everything has gone up even more. I didn't get chicken feed today but basic all-stock sweet feed was $11.99 - that's up $1 since April. My ancient horse's Proforce Senior is up $2.50 since April at $27.49 and even a white, 50# salt block was up $2, at $10.99. I won't need chicken feed for another week but am not looking forward to that sticker shock. So, what are y'all paying for your feed?

Our dairy feed was $3000 a month and now its almost $7000.
Our chicken feed went up $1.75 or so.
Our pay price went down for our milk exactly how much the feed price went up, to add insult to injury. In the hole $8000 a month until recently when our milk company decided to actually pay us for our milk. So we can pay for feed.... la dee da.

Our dairy feed was $3000 a month and now its almost $7000.
Our chicken feed went up $1.75 or so.
Our pay price went down for our milk exactly how much the feed price went up, to add insult to injury. In the hole $8000 a month until recently when our milk company decided to actually pay us for our milk. So we can pay for feed.... la dee da.
Who do you ship your milk to?

The layer feed I use costs $17 something right now. My chick feed is around $16 dollars. (per 50# bag)

Desperately hoping I can make it till the end of the month before I have to buy another 500# of feed - or I have to raise my prices. I'm already looking at changing feed brands, so regardless, its some math when I get home after the next buk purchase. I'm at about $0.228 per pound right now.

/edit don't have prices for the local feed store, but based on what its selling for elsewhere, my costs might increase to $0.28/lb, a significant jump. I know I'm losing money every week while my oldest birds are molting early and my youngest birds aren't yet laying - egg production is half what it was last month - but I don't enjoy much price flexibility in what I can sell for. Need to talk with my big buyer about whether he can stomach another $0.50/dozen or $1/flat...

Last edited:
Went back and checked April's thread. In April:
Payback organic layer pellets, #50 - $31.99
Scratch & Peck organic grower, #40 - $31.29

Today's prices, same store:
Payback organic layer pellets, #50 - $36.99
Scratch & Peck organic grower, #40 - $31.29

Interesting the S&P grower didn't change at all, but $5 jump on the Payback.

Back
Top Bottom