July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I completely agree with you Cindy! Any humidity that fogs or creates condensation in a bator is too high and the chicks will not dry in that type of humidity. Plus it can potentially harm the other eggs that are about to hatch, but not much that can be done now.

Next time do not put your humidity as high. When the chicks hatch they create more humidity to the bator. I would not go above 50% because the added humidity from the hatching eggs will put it at about 60-65%.

When you get condensation and fog you are above 70%
The funny thing is, the hygrometer only reads 30%

The funny thing is, the hygrometer only reads 30%
Then it is not calibrated or working correctly. Fog and condensation happens when it is above 70% in the incubator. I would look into getting another hygrometer. You do not want your humidity too high because you can get DIS chicks.

Is that the one on the incubator or do you have a separate salt tested one? And a separate, calibrated thermometer? You cannot trust the instruments that come with the incubator.
I was just going to say this. My incubator always reads the wrong humidty and temp. One is less than a month old and was like that from day 1.

I was just going to say this. My incubator always reads the wrong humidty and temp. One is less than a month old and was like that from day 1.
Yeah, I never would have thought new things could be wrong but they can be and often are!!! I have to set my incubator two degrees lower than what I want or else it will be too hot!!! And the humidity is usually always like 10% lower than both my hygrometers.

I’ve learned a lot from @Kiki and everyone else.

You just cannot trust the ones that come with it and if it is reading 30% but fogging up then something is clearly wrong.

Yeah, I never would have thought new things could be wrong but they can be and often are!!! I have to set my incubator two degrees lower than what I want or else it will be too hot!!! And the humidity is usually always like 10% lower than both my hygrometers.

I’ve learned a lot from @Kiki and everyone else.

You just cannot trust the ones that come with it and if it is reading 30% but fogging up then something is clearly wrong.
When I had fog and condensation, my bator was reading 85% that was my first hatch and I added water like I read... Now I do not add water because when the chicks hatch they bring my bator from 30% to 45% which is perfect for my eggs to hatch.

So many times we read things and we think that we should follow everything to a t, but with hatching you need to learn you bator (another kiki saying). You cannot just follow what everyone else does and expect to get a perfect hatch because that rarely works.

When I had fog and condensation, my bator was reading 85% that was my first hatch and I added water like I read... Now I do not add water because when the chicks hatch they bring my bator from 30% to 45% which is perfect for my eggs to hatch.

So many times we read things and we think that we should follow everything to a t, but with hatching you need to learn you bator (another kiki saying). You cannot just follow what everyone else does and expect to get a perfect hatch because that rarely works.
Yeah exactly!!! I never would have thought that dry hatching could possibly work yet that’s all I’ve done so far and I’ve had great results!!!

Back
Top Bottom