July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Yours? Seriously none are fertile!
It is not the first time. I’ll try again when I have the newest boys out of the main pen. I gotta say though, I have not heard crowing in a while, and in the 18 mos of having quail, I’ve never seen over mating despite there being too many boys. I have hatched my own eggs though.

It is not the first time. I’ll try again when I have the newest boys out of the main pen. I gotta say though, I have not heard crowing in a while, and in the 18 mos of having quail, I’ve never seen over mating despite there being too many boys. I have hatched my own eggs though.
I have 2 males I think. I haven’t seen them fight or anything. I do not know if my eggs are fertile yet. I’ll look on Sunday.

Hopefully you get fertile eggs soon!

Every time I crack open an egg, there's a target staring at me, mocking me, accusing me of chickicide for not hatching it. What can I say? My roosters are a$$aholas but they do take their job seriously.
LOL!
After our bator hatch in June from our own flock we were having a really hard time making and eating scrambled or fried eggs! We could hear the peeping from their siblings while staring at the bullseye eggs in the pan! That was a little unsettling and kiddo kept asking if I was frying up chicks. 😳
(maybe watching those CGI videos on chick development wasn't such a good idea!)

It still is a little strange, and like you I feel a little guilty about using fertilized eggs instead of putting them in the incubator! 😆

Our super-broody's eggs are hatching!!! So far we have one beautiful bluish baby, and two more pips. :) There are 8 more to go, but we're only on Day 20 today. :)

5 babies have hatched, and 4 more are pipping. This morning I found one of the poor babies, still wet, outside of the nest, not moving. I thought it was already dead, but when I scooped it up, it moved and peeped. I quickly turned the incubator on and popped the baby inside. When we came back a little later, it was sitting up and mostly fluffed! I took it out and put it back with Jet. She seemed fine with it, but we're going to keep a close eye on things today.

Here's the sweet little thing--we're thinking it's a speckled sussex/white silkie cross. :)
IMG_6364.JPG

Hello!
I’m new to incubating and hatching eggs not to having chickens.
How long does the zipping normally take? Seems I’ve got one going on almost 24 hours. I can see it breathing through the pip hole. I can hear it too!
These are shipped eggs.

Goodness, I got behind here! So. Many. Adorable. Babies!! :love

I officially candled and weighed on day seven and marked air cells-
11 shipped Biele eggs
7 my flock eggs

2 Bieles looked clear still and one looked off. Odd. Different. I left them all in and since one of the clears was the worst saddled egg, and I'd had it upright in my horizontal turner, I put it on it's side so I could stop turning it and the egg from my flock as counterbalance on the turner. Most of the air cells that were only slightly jiggly or a little saddled upon arrival already look better.

All 7 from my flock look good.

The next day I went to re-check the odd looking shipped egg and it had 2 tiny weeping spots. This egg had a pretty badly saddled air cell but did have veins early on, however it still looked off. The weepy stuff had an off smell too (not rotten though) so for the sake of the others I pulled it last night and stuck it in the fridge until I could eggtopsy today.
Glad I pulled it, it was icky inside. Pretty sure it was bacteria because we weren't far enough along for a true rotten egg age-wise. So, that leaves at this point only 8 of the 11 shipped eggs still going.

I'm doing much better this time not touching and fiddling with the eggs. (...so far)
Did you have any trouble seeing into your beilefelder eggs. I candles on day 7 and they looked dark. Could see most air cells but not all. I’m going to recheck them today (day 10) to see if I can see any better. I just hope they are good and not all duds. They didn’t look clear so I’m not sure what o was seeing. Was just wondering what you experienced. This is my first time with shipped eggs. So kinda nervous.

Hello!
I’m new to incubating and hatching eggs not to having chickens.
How long does the zipping normally take? Seems I’ve got one going on almost 24 hours. I can see it breathing through the pip hole. I can hear it too!
These are shipped eggs.
The pip can happen 24 hours before the zipping starts. Once the zip starts it should be done in an hour. I give them a second hour before I assist. When it happens it is usually the membrane decided to attach to the chick.

My Bielefelder eggs are a grab bag, some I could see partially through, others I could not due to the different colors of brown. I have 8 left of the original 11 on day 15. 2 were quitters and 1 was clear.

They are the eggs I am worried about aircells on. They seem to have drawn way further down than I am ised to seeing. And fhey are saddled. Perhaps that is a contributing factor.

At any rate I know you didn't ask me, I hope you don't mind, just thiught I would add my two cents. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom