July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Thank you for your condolences.
No, there was no need to candle them really. I had 3 separate thermometer/hydromitors monitoring, one was a calabrated one hung from the top, that has an app for a smart phone set up, which did set an alarm off, but my phone was being charged at the time it happened. It read the 118*, the unit's own which was reading that everything was fine at 100.9*, and a cheap stand-type which has always been about 4 degrees off, reading 122*. I touched the eggs immediately, and knew from how they felt that they were way too hot. It's apparent now that the thermostat failed. According to all the records of my app for the calibrated one, this never happened before....it read fine until it obviously wasn't.

I just got off the phone with Incubator Warehouse, where I bought the Hovabator. They were very apologetic and understanding. They agreed with us that the thermostat failed, and offered me a refund or replacement. I chose the refund. If and when I decide to buy another incubator, I'll either go with another Brinsea, or I'd actually like to try the Nurture Right 360, that I read so many good things about. My Brinsea 28 EX has worked flawlessly now for 2 weeks, and today the eggs in there that I set 18 days ago are going on lockdown as soon as I candle them for the last time.
The Hovabator was going to be a gift for my son in California when I was done with the Favorelle hatch. He had trouble getting chicks this year because of some disease going around in that state. While the company was more than accomodating, I'm sort of convinced that paying more for a good unit is worth it.
Thanks again for your kind thoughts.
I'm glad the Brinsea is being kind to you. I have the small Brinsea Advance and two NR360s. I highly recommend the NR360s, which I guess is obvious since I have two of them.

Glad Incubator Warehouse is refunding you for the machine at least. I have heard good things about them as a store.

Out of all the incubators I have tried the Nurture Right has really been the best value and easiest to operate. I *wish* it had a higher capacity but I solved that by getting another one...lol

I've tried to find one online, or where I can go pick one up and haven't been successful so far.
None online that I could find, and dealers in my area (Dover Tennessee and Paris area, Podunk I lovingly call it)...don't have websites. At any rate, I don't have to purchase another right away....yet. ;) My son was finally able to obtain some chicks several counties over from his house, and my Brinsea holds plenty of eggs for my own use. I just had a bunch of extras at first, so I bought the other one with plans to gift him with it.

All the eggs have arrived!

Here's the breakdown. Not that anyone is that interested but it helps me keep track.
7 Marans
8 Flowery 55's
14 Silverudd's Blues
(Added 7/4)
13 DSL Barnevelder
6 local eggs
10 local eggs from the fridge.
(Added 7/6)
That's 58 eggs!

I've already pulled 2 Flowery 55 eggs for no development (down to 56 eggs). Except for 6 collected this weekend, all of these are shipped or refrigerated. Hoping for a 50% hatch rate on this guys. After subtracting rooster chicks this should give me a nice selection of grow out pullets.

IMG_20200706_111759870.jpg

All the eggs have arrived!

Here's the breakdown. Not that anyone is that interested but it helps me keep track.
7 Marans
8 Flowery 55's
14 Silverudd's Blues
(Added 7/4)
13 DSL Barnevelder
6 local eggs
10 local eggs from the fridge.
(Added 7/6)
That's 58 eggs!

I've already pulled 2 Flowery 55 eggs for no development (down to 56 eggs). Except for 6 collected this weekend, all of these are shipped or refrigerated. Hoping for a 50% hatch rate on this guys. After subtracting rooster chicks this should give me a nice selection of grow out pullets.

View attachment 2229768
Pretty selection! Can I ask where you got the Flowery 55 eggs? I am too cheap to buy them from Greenfire, but would love to have some at some point.

I don't think I said, but I gave my ducks two end zone ducklings. One had just hatched and they tried to kill it. The other was just pipped so I hoped that if it hatched under them they would accept it better.

They flipped out and watched the poor little guy from about 2 feet away for about 2 hours pacing back and forth quacking at him (it was super warm out so he was fine). :eek: :eek:

So both ducklings are now buddies in the brooder with the guineas until we can set them up in the brooder in the duck house. The guineas love snuggling up to the ducklings' bigger bellies for now while I relocate crazy failed broody ducks to a tractor on pasture to hopefully end broody time. They've been working on this project for over a month and need to get back to living.

Back
Top Bottom