July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
I'm too stubborn (fool-hardy?) to give up just yet. I have to try again but I will say that if my next hatch doesn't work out... that's where I will cut my losses and move to another breed.
I’ve done two... both were bad. I got 1 chick still alive from both. Think maybe the BCM line breeding has caused issues for all of us.

Day 21 update.

I was pretty excited three days ago when my eggs went into lock-down. Out of a total of 47 shipped eggs, 29 made it that far. On day 19, two of the Bielefelders (both boys) hatched with no issues. Yesterday, 13 more hatched. No one needed any assistance hatching. Only a single BCM hatched and shortly after hatching began bleeding from the belly button. I put some cornstarch on it and left it alone. It's doing fine. I still have eggs in the bator but I don't think any of them are viable and I'm disappointed that out of six BCM that made it to lock-down, only one hatched. Here's the final count.
BCM- 1 of 18
Bielefelders- 8 of 14
Cream Legbars- 6 of 15
So, while my numbers are much less than I expected, I'm happy to still have some of each. I guess I will be searching for more BCM eggs to hatch. Any recommendations for eggs or live chicks in the Michigan area?

I had really good luck with BCM eggs from ebay seller juddlisa. It does not look like they have any listed ATM though. My first hatch I ended up with 5 out of 8. I just set my 2nd 8 a couple days ago. They are packaged really well, are really big eggs, and were the first to hatch in my first batch (did not hatch late like most people have problems with).

I had really good luck with BCM eggs from ebay seller juddlisa. It does not look like they have any listed ATM though. My first hatch I ended up with 5 out of 8. I just set my 2nd 8 a couple days ago. They are packaged really well, are really big eggs, and were the first to hatch in my first batch (did not hatch late like most people have problems with).
I had issues after mine hatched not the hatching itself. I believe BCM doesn’t have a place in my flock.

I had 2 of 4 Maran mixes hatched that I got as part of a mix of eggs. One of the fail to hatch eggs died zipping and another didn't develop. If it wasn't for those, I would have had 100% hatch from that batch of eggs. Might eventually try again, but might not... I was in the chicken yard last night thinking.... how do I have this many chickens???? :eek: lol Almost time to thin out some more young cockerels. I somehow got on everyone's radar as a chicken lady who takes boys and have gotten a lot of boy dropoffs lately. Mostly silkie, likely thanks to our TSC selling unsexed silkies to newbies all day long. Poor fellows.

Well, it was bound to happen to me at some point. One of the bieles hatched and has an unabsorbed yolk sack. What do I do? I am researching what I can. Any tried and true methods from you all?
I'm so sorry about the hatching problems and that I'm late here today.
I saw /read on an assisted hatch thread somewhere that when a chick (or in the case of the thread duckling) hatches with an unabsorbed yolk, you leave the bottom half of the chick in the egg and set the chick/egg upright in a little cup to give it more time to absorb.
I don't know how viable this is if the chick kicked out of the shell and is wanting to move around, but perhaps a smooth clean cup (to prevent snags to the yolk/stump) and limiting the movement (thus pressure to the abdomen from muscles contracting) could be worth a try?
So many people on here have had problems with hatching the BCMs. I had three; a male & three females from Cackle. I have one female left & she's not laying any noticeably dark brown eggs. I got maybe two or three of the pretty eggs from the two females who made it to laying age. I'm just not sure they're all that viable. Have they been bred for their beautiful eggs and other health issues put in second/third place? 🤷‍♀️
Back when I had BCMs about 10 years ago, Marans were still pretty new and not "all the rage" yet. My birds were hatchery shipped chicks and were strong and healthy. The eggs were always darkest at the beginning of laying season, either after a molt or when they started in the spring (mine were not winter layers) and over the laying season (until later fall) would lighten up some, but for the most part I had strong healthy eggs and healthy birds.

I think, like most animals of any kind, once they become popular anyone and everyone breeds them, regardless of vigor or health, and does not think about the long term consequences of irresponsible breeding. Unfortunately I think BCMs are the latest casualty.

Same here. I had to cull 12 chicks last hatch after some got cocci and were not getting better with treatment. I had nightmares about killing things for over a week because of it.
Wow! That's terrible to say the least. I hope this hatch does better for you and can raise your spirits a bit after a rough patch like that.

Wow! That's terrible to say the least. I hope this hatch does better for you and can raise your spirits a bit after a rough patch like that.
I’m doing turkens from my friends eggs. 8 made it to lockdown. So far 58 quail have made it.

We are taking a break from chicken chicks and doing quail. I find them more enjoyable right now after all the cocci stuff. I’m building quail cages this weekend and next week to put them in. I’ll grow them out then decide who I’m keeping.

I couldn't even tell you how much money I've spent on BCMs over the last 8 years. Probably close to $700-800 between eggs and chicks. Each time I get a bad hatch or purchased chicks fail to thrive or make expectations I say "never again"!!!!

Then those beautiful chocolate eggs come across my Facebook feed or eBay recommendations or BYC and I'm right back in it again. The feeling of "these might be the ones" is too strong. I've accepted they're my kryptonite.

I had never really had an interest in the BCM until I started reading the threads on BYC!!! I had to get replacement chicks a couple weeks ago and they happened to have BCM chicks so I got 4 straight run. They are huge chicks and doing great. Can't wait to see if I get any boys, they are so handsome. I've gotten to the point right now that I don't even count my chicks before they are grown, there are so many things that can get in the way it seems. I'll be happy if I just get to add one lady to my egg layer coop.I just lost 7/8 6week olds last week and have no idea why. It has been getting very hot here and they always wanted to huddle for some reason so I don't know if that is what got them or not. Moved them to a grow out pen where they have more room and although they still huddle a lot I haven't lost anymore.

@FortCluck ! I love my turkens!
2897E441-DA6A-4F92-A10D-1068D51FA765.jpeg

012286E8-BBA5-4C5C-A14B-AA9AF1E9A5ED.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom