July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
I HAVE 2 BCM pips!!! So excited! Especially after reading about how persnickety hatching them can be. I have 3 others in the bator though, and all the rest of the
Delawares and one EE still silent. Really not exactly sure if this is day 20 or 21, since I didn't write down if I set them in the morning or evening. I know better now to include that for next time.
My son and granddaughter are here visiting from California. A nice little event for their vacation. I sure hope I have more hatching today or tomorrow. They will be going straight into the coop when they're dry and ready to come out. The coop floor will have pine shavings, a mother hen infrared heater, and fermented chick starter, water of course. It's in the 90's here now, so being too cold shouldn't be an issue.
I am now officially hooked on hatching eggs. This is so fun. Prayers up and fingers crossed!

I HAVE 2 BCM pips!!! So excited! Especially after reading about how persnickety hatching them can be. I have 3 others in the bator though, and all the rest of the
Delawares and one EE still silent. Really not exactly sure if this is day 20 or 21, since I didn't write down if I set them in the morning or evening. I know better now to include that for next time.
My son and granddaughter are here visiting from California. A nice little event for their vacation. I sure hope I have more hatching today or tomorrow. They will be going straight into the coop when they're dry and ready to come out. The coop floor will have pine shavings, a mother hen infrared heater, and fermented chick starter, water of course. It's in the 90's here now, so being too cold shouldn't be an issue.
I am now officially hooked on hatching eggs. This is so fun. Prayers up and fingers crossed!
🙏 😍:fl

That's fantastic! Both the pips and being able to share it with family. Something they'll always remember.

@SnapdragonQ I had to cull the chick. First time I have had to do such a thing to a chick. Not emotionally okay right now. I know I sound like a wuss. I have raised many animals for butcher. But rarely have I been so incompletely able to solve a problem before in such a young animal. I am sorry to ramble. Just a little crushed at the moment.
:hugs:hugs:hugs
You are NOT a wuss. Babies are SO hard! No if, ands, or buts!
I'm so sorry. Sometimes things just are not right with a baby and hopefully you can take comfort in that if it hatched under a chicken like this the suffering would have been much worse.

I haz my first chick hatched ever! Fuzzy foot and all ( they’re the French variety). All toes facing the correct way, no crossbeak ...and she’s chirping up a storm!

Attachments

• AA767C5A-D911-4EDB-B899-A3C974B1AA3D.jpeg
    AA767C5A-D911-4EDB-B899-A3C974B1AA3D.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 5
@SnapdragonQ I had to cull the chick. First time I have had to do such a thing to a chick. Not emotionally okay right now. I know I sound like a wuss. I have raised many animals for butcher. But rarely have I been so incompletely able to solve a problem before in such a young animal. I am sorry to ramble. Just a little crushed at the moment.

:hugs

This morning I saw babies!!! Out of my 24 shipped quail eggs, one tossed at delivery as was cracked and sticky. And on day 7, 3 infertile (including one that had a tiny hole I patched) but the rest are doing splendidly. Can now leave alone until lockdown. I went ahead and added 12 more pekin duck eggs 2 days ago and they will hatch 4th August. So for those following along: 20 quail eggs hatch 19th July, 2pekin (fertility check) hatch 30th of July,and then 12 pekin eggs for the August hatchalong due 4th August :thumbsup

My ONE, LONE blue egg has piped!!! Out of ALL the blue eggs I had, this is the only one left. I never saw anything but a dark spot that I thought could indicate a growing chick. No veins, no movement....but I kept it in hopes that dark spot was something alive. It's alive up to now anyway. I am so hopeful.
Out of all my white Delaware eggs, not one pip yet. Odd, I would have thought they'd be the first ones. Such a learning experience. I'm fascinated.

Back
Top Bottom