July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
We keep losing chickens for tons of different reasons, so I have 3 more I'm expecting to hatch this weekend. Their father was removed from earth a day or two ago, due to spurring a 15 year old dog in the eye unprovoked, but I expect them to be silver leghorns coloring like the 2 I have hatched just before them that are almost 3 weeks.

Well, good morning everyone.
My hatch is still ongoing. We have 3 BCM's and a blue-something. It came from my one and only blue egg in the bator.
I am really surprised that none of the white Delaware eggs have pipped. I saw chicks and movement in each one of them. They're sure taking their time.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Delaware eggs and doing a happy dance for your BCM. I found a seller in PA (about 5 1/2 hours from me) and I think I'm going to drive out there on Sunday to pick some up. I will cost me about $60 in gas and a day of my time but it will keep them out of the postal system.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Delaware eggs and doing a happy dance for your BCM. I found a seller in PA (about 5 1/2 hours from me) and I think I'm going to drive out there on Sunday to pick some up. I will cost me about $60 in gas and a day of my time but it will keep them out of the postal system.

Is your hatch done? I must have missed an update. So, you're driving to get BCM eggs? Y'all are so lucky to have different breeds available within driving distance. I have been unable to find anyone with fertile eggs, and the only chicks being sold remotely close to us are Leghorns and RIR's. Our Tractor supply is winding down their offerings, last time we were there all they had were Cornish crosses. I may try them at some point, but I want to establish my egg layers before I take on the hassle of keeping Cornish's clean. :jumpy :D

Is your hatch done? I must have missed an update. So, you're driving to get BCM eggs? Y'all are so lucky to have different breeds available within driving distance. I have been unable to find anyone with fertile eggs, and the only chicks being sold remotely close to us are Leghorns and RIR's. Our Tractor supply is winding down their offerings, last time we were there all they had were Cornish crosses. I may try them at some point, but I want to establish my egg layers before I take on the hassle of keeping Cornish's clean. :jumpy :D
I have found most breeders through Facebook. All it took was finding one and Facebook started recommending a lot of similar breeder pages to me. There are tons right here in my county. I was amazed! :)

Yes, my hatch is done. I had 29 that made it to lock-down but only 15 hatched. I had expected a low hatch rate due to them being shipped but when 29 made it to lock-down, my hope soared only to be disappointed and confused. The biggest disappointment was the BCM. Out of the 18 shipped, I only have one that made it. I ended up with 6 Cream Legbars ( 3 boys & 3 girls), 1 BCM, and 8 Bielefelders (5 boys, 3 girls). It will be a long drive but 11 hours round trip is still in my limits without having to stop at a hotel. If it doesn't work out then I will call it quits on the Marans and move on to another breed.

I have found most breeders through Facebook. All it took was finding one and Facebook started recommending a lot of similar breeder pages to me. There are tons right here in my county. I was amazed! :)

I'm giggling at myself here.
The one place I didn't think to look. :caf

I am following a Delaware feed, but haven't run across anyone close selling eggs yet. At least I haven't noticed any yet.
Gonna do a search for other breeds now.
Thank you for this suggestion.

ETA: I searched FB and joined several breed forums. Wyndotte, Salmon Faverolls, australorpe, and Bielfielders. Sorry for my lousy spelling. I am too tired to fix it.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing that for some silky eggs next month.

Back
Top Bottom