July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
I have found most breeders through Facebook. All it took was finding one and Facebook started recommending a lot of similar breeder pages to me. There are tons right here in my county. I was amazed! :)
I have a Facebook account but I haven't been on it since early April. I haven't de-activated it yet but every time I think about going back on I don't. I miss certain Facebook friends.... particularly relatives in other countries that I don't see or hear from on the regular. However, being on Facebook was difficult for me. I got tired of all the devisive political posts... all of the armchair experts... and mostly, so many emotional triggers about my son's passing that I just couldn't get away from. It's a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I miss some of the friends and some of the groups but not the drama or emotional triggers. I'm super grateful for this forum. I can come here and just hang out with other crazy chicken people! :)

Hope it helps! I kind of lucked into it because someone I sold eggs to told me our city had a poultry keeper's group and I had no idea of that. When there, someone recommended a silkie breeder from across town. The langshans I just hatched come from yet another breeder that is down the road from me that I started getting Facebook ads for. That guys ships boxes all around the country of Langshan, Mille d' fleur d'uccle and other breeds and my mailman has actually mentioned them to me in the past since we both send and receive eggs. Slowly but surely I'm finding a bunch of breeders I would have never imagined were so close to me.

Also thanks to good ol' Facebook and my state poultry group, I found a lady and her 4-H son through that group that has well over 100 ducks, geese, turkeys, etc and has some amazing competition winning lines of many breeds. In some way I wish I didn't know about all of these amazing breeds being so near to us! haha

I have a Facebook account but I haven't been on it since early April. I haven't de-activated it yet but every time I think about going back on I don't. I miss certain Facebook friends.... particularly relatives in other countries that I don't see or hear from on the regular. However, being on Facebook was difficult for me. I got tired of all the devisive political posts... all of the armchair experts... and mostly, so many emotional triggers about my son's passing that I just couldn't get away from. It's a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I miss some of the friends and some of the groups but not the drama or emotional triggers. I'm super grateful for this forum. I can come here and just hang out with other crazy chicken people! :)
:hugs I'm sorry for the loss of your son. Facebook can be a rough place in so many ways and has gotten much worse since April, too. I don't stop in there very often... a couple times a month maybe. Have thought about deactivating, but get sucked back in to look things up. I, too, am very grateful for BYC. It has basically replaced Facebook for me in recent months. Thank you all for hatching along and making this a place we all want to be.

I have a love-hate relationship with FB as well. Would love to give it up, but since we just left California last year, it's the only viable place I can now keep in touch with so many friends I have back there....some are early childhood friends, plus my family.
@TheBajan , my sincere condolences on losing your son. I can't imagine that pain.

I too have been avoiding FB since Covid hit. I've never been a big FB person to begin with but became more active over the last year because of my quilting however I was already tired of the general bickering and political posts/memes. Two of my friends are also avoiding FB for the same types of emotional triggers- loss of a child.

It's a catch 22 especially for introverts and people with reasons to avoid it ...some of the good content there cannot be found anywhere else, but going there means you have to subject yourself to....well...everything that is FB. Bleh!

If it's gotten worse since April I may continue my avoidance until the election is over and there is a vaccine!

@TheBajan :hugs

@TheBajan My condolences and :hugs

@SnapdragonQ Your numbers are the same as mine. However two days into lockdown I had two quitters. They were malpositioned, upside down. 7 went into lockdown, 5 came out, 4 healthy.

Gah Facebook. Used to be a place introverts could go to stay connected. Now it is a warzone. I joined the first year it was available at my college. It has gotten so much worse since they went public as with most companies...That is all I will say. Good tip on finding breed pages. Seems nowadays most FB groups avoid selling anything animal related, it is good to know some still exist!

Back
Top Bottom