July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
That's hilarious! It's always the drakes....

I know right? 12 weeks old and his hormones are a-raging!

😂😂😂 you could make a cross between boots and a duck

according to him they’re pretty attractive so he’s darn well going to try. Lol. He’s a pest normally because he’s pretty badly imprinted on people (not by choice, he was a single that I couldn’t find a buddy for) so he’s always underfoot. Add in the amorous overtures and yeah... have to be really careful not to stomp on him. Lol.

I know right? 12 weeks old and his hormones are a-raging!

according to him they’re pretty attractive so he’s darn well going to try. Lol. He’s a pest normally because he’s pretty badly imprinted on people (not by choice, he was a single that I couldn’t find a buddy for) so he’s always underfoot. Add in the amorous overtures and yeah... have to be really careful not to stomp on him. Lol.
My Muscovy Coco is like that. She’s always tripping me. The turkey (Jerky) is the same way!

Very cute! And I'd call it a Blue mix.
There is already a Blue Plymouth Rock sex-linked hybrid and a Plymouth Blue Rock breed.
(yeah, good and confusing!)
That is what Iam trying to breed for, is the Plymouth Blue Rock. That's why Iam using my Plymouth Barred Rock any help with breeding would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
That is what Iam trying to breed for, is the Plymouth Blue Rock. That's why Iam using my Plymouth Barred Rock any help with breeding would be greatly appreciated
I haven't dived in too deep, but my understanding is the Blue Plymouth Rock sex linked hybrid (goes by several TMs like Sapphire Gems, which I have) are a bit of a mysterious mix originating in Czech and the Blue Andalusian being used for the color. It is supposed to be sex linked with males having a yellow spot on the head (barring gene in the males) however it's not reliable just yet because it's a new hybrid. The males do tend to be blue with some barring expressed. They do not breed true though.

The Plymouth Blue Rock is supposed to be a regular Plymouth Rock with Blue being the color. Like the Partridge, or white variety. Though I don't the history of how they brought in the color blue, but I think they breed true.

Because yours is Lav Orp X Barred Rock, it would probably need a name of it's own. Beyond that I'm not too familiar with the barring gene and how well it is expressed in F1 (first generation) crosses.

I'm betting though there are some good pages in the genetics section or in the articles because there are some very knowledgeable people here when it comes to genetics and setting the traits you are trying for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom