Jumbo eggs?

Chelseyb123

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Maine
I have a wyandottw mix my profile pic is her. And a silver laced roo Now she lays some pretty big eggs and id like to hatch some this spting. Is it possible if so whay size an shape should be used?

Wyandotte lay fairly large brown eggs. I don't have them but a friend of mine does.

Yes, it is possible to hatch some eggs. Heck, I made a crappy incubator this year and I hatched 3 eggs, out of 20, but hey, at least I hatched some. :woot

When it comes to incubating, pick the eggs that have a nice smooth surface. Eggs that are clean and make sure they are not to big or to small, but just right (For that specific breed). Look for the eggs with an average size.

If you find an egg that is REALLY big, I wouldn't incubate it since it could have 2 or more yolks, and those eggs usually don't hatch successfully. Sometimes one or both chicks perish, but it's not impossible.
If the egg is to small, the chick might not have enough room to develop and will likely not make it.

Don't stress out, have patience and good luck!

Thann you so much!. Yeah i hatched four out of three austro wyandotte an one leghorn mixed but. Died shortly after. But the hen i want to use for eggs dors lay an average size jumbo egg so when the time. Comes ill stock up and try. Thank you again

I also got a jumbo egg last week and it was a double yolk. As big as a duck egg.
All of our chickens are Black Australorps.
Just wondered if there are any breed that lays jumbo eggs 80 or 90 % of the time?

Some times I do get huge ones from my other girls I have rirs australop sussex an leghorn. My gold wyandotte lays large eggs but my other hen that looks like a wyandotte with the lace but has a different Face than a wyandotte. Only lays jumbo. I think she might be some type of hybrid. But she only lays jumbos.

Also received another JUMBO EGG this morning bigger than the one previously. Don't have a scale to weigh so don't know how big it really could be????
20180311_125400.jpg

Looks fairly big. These are my hens. The darker skinner long eggs are from my oldest hen thats 2yrs old now. Austrolp laid nice xlg eggs now lays these. She did stop this winter.The jumbo ones usually have some huge yolks but never double unless its really big. She's laid eggs the size of my palm.

Attachments

• 1520861987380-543844602.jpg
    1520861987380-543844602.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom