1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

jumbo french guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BirchHatchery, Jan 10, 2011.

1. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    is their any diffrence exsept the size between a jumbo french guinea and a pearl guinea do the jumbos run around and search for food and fly and everythang like normal just wondering as we all no how diffrent a cornish rock is than a rhode island red??

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    From what I understand, the Jumbos have a hard time mating naturally. But I could be mistaken on that... [​IMG]

3. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    hmm that be fine if they cant breed but i wanna no if their like other guineas active foragers good watch dogs?

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I had 4 roos and a hen, I got rid of 3 roos and kept a pr. the neighbors dog killed my male. Im looking for a male. They run around just like the other guineas, I havent had them long enough to breed. I did get 4 or 5 eggs last year from my hen, her eggs were smaller then my other guineas, I set every egg I got from her, only 1 had a chick in it, but it got broke in the nest before it was time to hatch, so I had no luck with them as of yet.

Anyone got a male out there they would part with. Im in Portland, IN. zip code 47371.

5. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    hey u aint to far me im in decature but i dont have any guineas now

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Where about Decatur are you? Im outside of Portland, almost into OH.

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I had a pair a few years back. They had no problem mating and the female actually went broody and successfully raised 8 keets. I hatched a lot of their eggs under chicken hens with no problems.

8. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    im north of decature by about 2 miles

9. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    Another fellow Indiana resident here, lol. I also raise the Jumbo French Pearl Guineas. I love them to death. I have 1 roo and 4 hens. I hatched out over 120 chicks from them last season. They will absolutely breed naturally. They are about 2-3 pounds heavier than there smaller counterparts. They forage, and are just as good at being watchdogs as there relatives. We are a few miles south of Greensburg, IN. I work in Greensburg actually. I will be hatching again this year so if anyone wants chicks or eggs just email me please. [​IMG]

10. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i was actually wondering about jumbo guineas too, i have 3 regular sized guineas and might look into jumbos because i want to let them free range all the time but im paranoid because we have a lotttt of hawks. i thought maybe the bigger size would deter the hawks from getting them. can anyone post pics of thier jumbos maybe next to or with a pic of a regular guinea so i can see the size difference? thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by