jumbos are hatching

I laid down for what 2 hours? ofcourse ancient dog wakes me up to go out... let her out look in the bator find this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
(i removed the mass of shells for your viewing pleasure!)

That just leaves 8 eggs to go, not sure if any are piped at this point. i had them hatching in a tray so they were upright so i could monitor, but by this point they were every which way on it so i took it out when i took out the shells.

Close up:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The last one that hatched(literally on the tray in front of me as i picked shells out) has a non absorbed yolk sac so i'm not sure of his survivability.

So that is 43 chicks(i had to count shells they zip around to darn much haha), and 8 eggs, i'm very pleased with the hatch!

Thanks
Sib

I had one like that and he did fine. I thought he would die for sure but he acts like the healthiest of the bunch. The yolk is drying up and he eats and drinks and does fine. As long as it doesnt become infected I think he will be fine so don't give up on yours. He may do ok. You just never know. Congrats on your hatch!!!

That is an awesome hatch.

Is this your first time with Coturnix?

I got them last year. I really like them, they're neat little birds. I like the fact that they're pretty docile. I can walk right into my quail run, which is sort of a mini-hoophouse/greenhouse type thing I made, and they aren't at all afraid. Kind of like little chickens.

Quote:
i agree. mine will eat their food out of my hand if i let them. JUMBOs and A&Ms mostly. very calm birds. some of my texas a&ms look like little ground doves. these birds are alot of fun. IMO the jumbos and a&,ms will take a bit longer than 6 weeks for eggs and full maturity. they get much bigger than what they look like at 6 week IMHO.

i hatched another coturnix 2.5 weeks ago, but yes in general this is my first year with quail. my parents are bringing home some tiebettian and golden jumbos from their road trip today, very excited! I have a batch of eggs in the incubator of assorted colors due july 16th too. not sure what the hatch rate will be but if i even get a couple new colors it will be worth it. I originally wanted buttons because they came in more colors, but coturnix fit me better
wink.png

As for yolk belly, i give them all a chance providing they aren't suffering. he hatched on his own, must have felt ready. I hope these are as easy to start as the other 1, it had no suicidal tendencies lol
Thanks
Sib

Back
Top Bottom