Jumping Spiders? -- Who likes 'em!?

th.gif
th.gif
hit.gif

I HATE THEM but the second pic is cute. Last week I opened my basement door to go downstairs and on the middle step was a garter snake. It scared the pants off of me but he’s staying in the basement to eat the spiders.

When I was a kid in Idaho, I found a big black & red one at the dunes. I collected it into an empty pill bottle with a small stick and fed him flies I collected from window sills. He spun a little thread house and it was fun to watch him stalk prey. Very like a feline.

I kept for a few months, and released it when I got tired of caring for it.

Most other spiders give me the willies, especially the spindly ones!

Jumping spiders are OK with me.

That being said...I "thought" I murdered a tarantula. I was just gonna leave it alone in the apartment, but it ran at me as I was shop-vaccing the closet. I tried to get it away from me but it wouldn't turn away! It just kept running and jumping at me! I bashed it repeatedly then sucked it up with the shop vac. We opened the vacuum, but it's mangled body wasn't in there.

I know it's stalking me...

I love spiders, especially taratulas. I had two Pink Toes that came from the Fear Factor tv show. One of our feed store customers was the animal wrangler for show and took two home from the shoot and when he had to go on location to shot another show, he gave them to us. My dh is arachniphobic (sp?) but Im not. I find spiders to facinating and intelligent. My dh over the years has learned to leave the garden spiders alone. This past summer we had a resident Orb spider weave a web by our back door. She was a mosquito eating machine, but there were so many that she would start the nite out eating them, then saving them for a snack, then giving up and going to bed!

LOVE THEM!!!!! Esp. the one in your first photo; those iridescent green .... thingys (can't remember what they are called.....)

I had a computer tech here, the other day, repairing my harddrive and he saw one in the window... It was about a 1/4 " long, and he was freaking out.."Look at that huge spider."...I just laughed.

Sassy, firstly I'm not really in the licking of spiders, I was bitten by a venomous type, and still have the marks on my leg.
But Jumping Spiders are really cute, the second pic looks like a Spider-Bea (teddy bear).

ETA: I just added one of the pics as my avatar.
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom