Jumping Spiders? -- Who likes 'em!?

I had a black one, with green eyes, living on my mess of a desk, last summer. He was about 1/2" long.

As he would walk over stuff, or climb the curtain, I'd make a sudden move, and he'd rear up, with his little front paws, spread wide, saying, "You want a piece of me."

After about a week, he was struggling to climb over pens, or up the sides of books, and would fall over...I'd put him back on his feet.

One day, he climbs up on my foot pillow, which sits on the desk, [It's a big desk] and just sat there, all evening, about 6" away from my feet.

The next evening, when I came home, he was curled up, under the computer screen.

It really made me kind of sad.

Spiders are cool, and that included jumping spiders. I had one on my bathroom window yesterday, he was outside, and I was just standing there watching him. If you take a flash picture of a spider, their eyes glow, it's so neat!

We had a black jumping spider visit us on our back porch last summer. She was always on the round table we had out there, and every morning when we had coffee she would be there running around the edge of the table. I would lift my arms when she came my way and DH would lift his when she came his way.
lol.png
We called her Nancy. I don't know if she was the same spider all summer long, but some kind of "Nancy" hung out there with us, I'd like to think it was her.

Last edited:
I read an article some time ago that there was a species of jumping spider discovered that was completely vegetarian. that is so neat. I love those things. They amuse me.

You guys are melting my heart! I'm so glad to read this thread that is pro-spider. I really like them too.

Post-mating meal leaves, temporarily, one less to worry about.

All those eyes, the better to see... Females of this species sporting iridescent lime green palps. Males targeting selves by flashing iridescent turquoise blue palps (just guessing about the visual cues - no `standard' web for the male to `pluck' his `song' on).

JumperLoveFeast0608.jpg

They rapidly become stressed and go all `fangy' if they get disoriented between shirt and skin...

For me, I think they're the only spiders on the face of the earth I would ever refer to as the slightest bit 'cute'. The rest are just neat to look at, except if it's a Tarantula or a Black Widow.

Back
Top Bottom