Jumping Spiders? -- Who likes 'em!?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sassymygirl, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Yes, I love jumping spiders!! They are not venomous, so they can't really hurt you, but they do bite. But I hold them all the time and let them crawl on my arm. [​IMG] Just wondering....Does anyone else like them!?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Me!!! The second pic looks like a scary little teddy bear! [​IMG]

3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I think they are so interesting, they seem to have personalities of their own!

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hey, that second one is smiling!

I admire them. They seem intelligent, one time watched black and red one stalk a fly on a 4 x 4 post. Spider was just hanging out and a fly landed about 10 inches away, spider spun around and had sights on it... then it walked over to other side of post, went up a couple inches then ever so slowly 'peeked' over the corner to locate the fly, backed off and continued up on side hidden from the fly.. then it got in position where it 'thought' the fly was, but right then the fly flew off(spider couldn't see it fly off). Spider 'tensed up' then suddenly jumped over pretty close to where the fly was.. it looked around like 'hey where did it go....' Was truly amazing......

5. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Spiders are truly one of my favorite animals, we even have a tarantula we take into schools. Just a side note, jumping spiders like all spiders ARE venomous. That's how they subdue and liquify their prey BUT only certain species of spiders have medically significant venom like the Black Widow or brown recluse. Happy spider watching!

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Love the Salticidae! [​IMG]

7. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    OOH, ME! ME! [​IMG]
    We always somehow have at least one living in the house. They are AWESOME-NESS! [​IMG]

8. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Me, too! Even my husband who dislikes most spiders kinda likes jumpers. It is fun to watch them hunt and stalk their prey--especailly when that prey is mosquitos. Though I can't get DH to agree to a house spider at least he calls me to rescue the jumpers when he finds them inside.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Sorry to be in the minority here. Severe arachnophobe.[​IMG]

10. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    They are my favorite!!! They are very interesting spiders!
    Did you know you an 'talk' to them? Get the spiders attention and lean down close to it without scaring it, then with your hands up near your face extend your pointer finger and wave them like spider legs. The spider will stand up on it's hind legs and do it back to you!!!
    Just be prepared, sometimes this makes them jump onto you for some reason..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by