JUNE 1st Hatch: Were locked and hatching!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I use to candle. Its just a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it over a 60w light. But it works.
51835_light.jpg

51835_light_2.jpg

Quote:

Quote:
How many??

Quote:
English channel you don't say? Is it as rainy over there as everyone say's it is??? lol I'm here for ya if you have any questions at all for your hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are having a huge drought at the moment...The ground is so hard that I can't get fence posts in to separate the broody nursery from the horses!!!!

In general we have a better climate than on the mainland as we benefit from the gulf stream.

Should I wait for the 12th day to candle? I think I should be able to see something by then?!

I have one of those little flashlight things with a very strong bulb and a little rubber cap. I can see into an unfertilised maran cross egg with it. They are a dark olive.

There is only one person here that I can find, who candles his eggs regularly. And he has refused to come and help me
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Ooh-- I get to join too! One of my Buff Orps went broody a week ago, so I gave her 6 fertile eggs last Thursday. (Silver-Laced Wyandottes) We should be hatching June 2nd! I also tracked down a lady who will have new chicks in the beginning of June in case I decide to give Ruby a few more babies. It's her first time, so we'll see how it goes... although so far she's been 100% committed. Won't get off the nestbox until I kick her out-- and then she just does her eat/drink/POO thing and is back in less than a minute later.

28902_dsc01920.jpg

28902_dsc01918.jpg

28902_dsc01913.jpg

Day 9 candle.....i was thinking in another thread i made that the air cell's were pritty big...but i had just pulled a double at work and it was 3 in the morning so i was a little out of it. I even think i was candleing the small end a few times and that always shows up as transparant and "air cell like" lol

First two shot's are of my light sussex and the last shot was of a silkie egg. Sorry for the low quality, it's hard to candle and take a picture at the same time
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm impressed with the candling pics!

How long is it safe to take the eggs away for, when I (try to) candle? I'm lucky, mine are colour coded so I could do 2 batces
cool.png

I have 7 eggs in my Brinsea that are due on June 1st. These eggs are Birchen Cochin bantam eggs. I own the pair - will candle on day 8. This is an experiment and if all goes well I will purchase eggs elsewhere to hatch too.

Quote:
I pull each egg out individually and keep them out for no longer than 45 seconds...."doesn't sound like much, but that's about all you need to tell if it's good or bad...even on the tricky ones"

I use an Egg-Lume candler, sounds like what Fuffy is using~very bright and really lights up the eggs. I don't take the eggs out to candle anymore since I got my auto egg turner. I can just hold the candler against the top of the eggs and get a quick look at each one and not loose to much heat or humidity that way. I candled last night on day 5 and all but 3/4 of the 15 BLRW eggs look like they are developing. Because they are shipped eggs I'm not going to get too excited just yet~reminding myself not to count my chickens before they hatch! I have more BLRW eggs coming tomorrow to add to my already incubating eggs for a split hatch
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif

frow.gif
SEE~ KogersClutch I DIDN'T JUMP SHIP~ I'M STICKING TO YOUR THREAD
hugs.gif
Good pictures~ and glad the air cells are looking ok in your eggs after all
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom