June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Now I also have 3 Delaware pullets occupying a rollout nest box. Tonight I managed to rob one of them of 2 eggs that she had managed to keep from rolling out. Most likely one of hers and the pullet next to her had one she stole. By the end of the week I want another hoop coop built just for broody girls. They can either hatch in there or decide to go back to work. I'll take either in exchange for feed, water, and a bunk to sleep on. They just cannot disrupt a 45 hen production nest box. I think they have scared some hens of and they are laying in the woods when they free range when the egg count dropped from about 35 a day to 18-20.
I have 3 broodys and 1 mama with her babies in my coop. I have 17 laying hens so should still have 13 laying. I have been getting 5 eggs a day and every so often find one in my run. I think some are afraid to lay since before most laid 4-6 times a week.

I have 3 broodys and 1 mama with her babies in my coop. I have 17 laying hens so should still have 13 laying. I have been getting 5 eggs a day and every so often find one in my run. I think some are afraid to lay since before most laid 4-6 times a week.
Somethings not right. Maybe they all need an attitude adjustment.

Somethings not right. Maybe they all need an attitude adjustment.
I think between the protective mama and the broodies taking up boxes they just aren't laying. I used to watch to see who went in what box so I knew who laid each day (have a camera and would watch back) but haven't been doing that since between broodies, the mama etc. it was hard to tell who was where. put a water and food thing in the coop for the mama and babies right after they hatched and had it in there when I first let the chicks out of the coop brooder so was hard to see around those as well. but until I wrote it down I didn't realize I was down so many eggs. I was getting 11-13 a day before all the broodies etc. but for the most part since mid March I have had 1-2 broodies. but most would be put in jail to break but as soon as they broke another would go etc. so always had 1-2 not laying at all. then I have 1 that barely ever lays and hasn't since she started laying. so I shouldn't really count her, she lays a few times a month and that is it. so technically not counting her I have 16 laying age. then the 4 that are either a mom or broody so that brings me to 12 but I should have more than 5 eggs a day for an average.

My RIR broody is not in a nest box but on the ground under a mounted rollout box in the corner of a hoop coop that is used mostly for sleeping. The doors are opened for free ranging during the day as long as the weather permits and that is most days. I imagine that the broodies in the Delaware nests are disrupting production which is not a great loss due to the fact that the Delawares are still laying medium sized eggs. One large eggs start coming I'll have a boodies only hoop coop built where they can brood or give it up but they will not try brooding in the production rollout nest box. All supplies are on site except for the cattle panels and once they are it will not take long for the wantabe mamas to have a new home of their own.

I haven't been having much success with my Mandarin eggs in my incubator this year, in fact It's embarrassingly low, but my ducks are setting on like 30 eggs, and I candles them, and at least 20/30 of their eggs have development. I'll have to get pictures of the duck and quail when I get home later.

I haven't been having much success with my Mandarin eggs in my incubator this year, in fact It's embarrassingly low, but my ducks are setting on like 30 eggs, and I candles them, and at least 20/30 of their eggs have development. I'll have to get pictures of the duck and quail when I get home later.
Ok here are some pics, if you want more, just ask.
20230530_164926.jpg
20230530_164937.jpg
20230530_091126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom