JUNE HAL

One pip so far, and one that may or may not live. His egg was stuck to the turner and while slowly, patiently wetting it and trying to unstick it, it did ultimately break. There was some blood, but minimal and it did stop bleeding. So i cleaned off another eggshell, disinfected it, and used that to seal the broken area. Heres hoping for the best .

These are my 2 early hatches from the last few days.

Love it! They're so cute!

Hi all Hatching Friends! I'm enjoying the cute pictures of the new baby chicks tonight
yippiechickie.gif

I wanted to post that I came home from work tonight (it's Day 20 here) and heard that joyful chirping noise coming from my Hova Bator... YIPPEE!!! I've placed 14 Marans; 12 Am's x CCL's; and 5 of my own green egg mutts into lock-down and cannot wait to see what comes outta it
pop.gif
The Marans were shipped, the Am's x CCL's were picked up from across the state, and the greenies came from my coop from mutt hens I hatched out last year about this time!! This is my second time to hatch with an incubator, and I'm stoked!!!

Okay, so anyway.... thanks for letting me share. I guess I'm an addict and needed a place to admit it!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
Woohoo!

What do you do with an early hatching chick? The first chick seems to fall around and knock the other eggs around quite a bit. Does that hurt the hatch of the other eggs?
Don't worry; that's normal :) The others will be fine.

We hear peeps and have one egg with a beak poke in it!! Oh my goodness! Parties are about to happen! From me, my husband, our 5y/o, and the 22mth old, all are EXTREMELY ecstatic about this. Chicks news!

We just started lockdown and found out all of this! They weren't technically due to hatch till Friday night so I guess we were technically a day late for lockdown though we haven't opened it since Sunday.

Is there anything we should be watching out for since we did the lockdown late?? Apparently the humidity level has been 65% or more for the past 24hrs even though the humidifier has been set at 45%. I'm guessing that's because the chicks started hatching?

Oh the peeps!! The little baby peeps! I can't wait to see what we have!

Well. The hatch isn't going so well. The early chick just doesn't sleep. Weird chick! The little thing was using the other eggs as billiard balls. Running around and around the incubator, looking me right in the eye when he could see me and screaming at me then hopping up and down and trying to get to me. The eggs were rolled from one end of the incubator to the other as the chick ran around. This can't be good for them. They aren't supposed to turn at all in lock down. One of the other chicks pipped and zipped and then got rolled over on it's face - hard. Yes. It died. I removed chick "Active" at that point and put him in the brooder. Also removed the dead chick and opened it. This is a learning process for me. The zipped chick's yolk had gotten broken and was not absorbed into it's body. When I went to grab the egg it was stuck to the incubator shelf by the dried yolk that had come out of the zipped area. It will be day 22 of this hatch until noon today and there are 10 eggs left. Still crossing my fingers for at least one more chick and will leave the eggs until day 24-25.

This is just how the eggs break when dealing with living critters. I honestly used to get better hatches with mailed hatching eggs with hand turning. That's the only thing I'm doing differently - using an auto turner. The chicks develop but don't seem strong enough to hatch. Except for one or two. Makes me think there is an area on the turner that works better for turning than other areas on the turner. Any thoughts from anyone?

Now about Mr. Active. He wouldn't calm down (or sleep) in the brooder. He did eat and drink and poop. He is like a puppy. Starts hopping up and down when I get near the brooder. So I took him out and we watched TV for a long while. He bit my hand as hard as a little chick can do that, then he preened my hand (chick kisses?) and then he settled down to enjoy some petting. He did not go to sleep. My husband leaned over to pet him and Mr. Active preened his hand, too. The chick seems to be very smart and very aware of what's what. He's doing a great job training the humans. Put him in the brooder for the night and he ate, drank and then started to get very fussy and cheep for the human's again. Sometime in the night he must have actually slept. He was quiet this morning but watching everyone and everything.

Watching everything.

Noticing me.

Walks over to the brooder (aquarium) wall and gives me a dirty look.
He wants to go beyond the wall.

Back
Top Bottom