June Hatch-A-Long! (Blue Ameraucanas for me!)

First born of my last hatch for this year! Silkies from Laurie Roden in AZ!

Ive had decent luck with shipped eggs:

7 viable of 12 eggs shipped, 5 hatched;

16 viable of 18 shipped, 13 hatched;

And 8 viable of 12 shipped, let's see how many hatch today and tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 3
Orchard Hill has bought many of their birds from Greenfire as well. My 3 year old's favorite pullet is a black isbar...she is so sweet & a delightful little forager to watch. I will be candling on Monday night (day 3) to assess fertility and hopefully make a little room in my incubators. I have both Brinsea Maxi & Mini (bought to use as overflow and chick hospital unit) over-full right now. Knowing that I'll lose a few, it seemed like a safe bet to hand turn a couple stuffed in the maxi.

I have actually had very good success with shipped eggs after a lot of research (and one very bad hatch on some shipped eggs...soooooo many egg-topsies! :hit) so I almost think I have a "rhythm" to how I deal with shipped eggs. I've also been really empowered by @SallySunshine 's Hatching Eggs: A change in plans thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-bantychooks.1046313/page-5385#post-16540512

I now ask a LOT of questions and make a lot of requests of shippers. They cannot control what your incubation practices are, but you can protect yourself by making your preferences about egg collection and shipping known. If you ever want to chat about it, just PM me. I'm happy to share what I've learned through the heartache of having kindergartners see 4 of 21 eggs hatch and then 1 of the 4 die...in class! (sigh)

We really are at the edge of where we ought to be in terms of shipping to the south at this time of year. I'm in the dead center of the state and at temps with 90 F already here, I don't feel good about shipping eggs due to heat and transport issues. Better to wait until October or next spring. Just my long-winded .02!!!

I've got an incubator full as well. 14 BCM, a dozen Isbar, and 5 showgirl all for expanding my flock, and some EE and NN eggs from my own flock to sell. (Had to test my Ameraucana eggs but the group is not separated yet, so no pure bred from these eggs)

That baby looks lavender to me, but I'm an Ameraucana newbie, to say the least. She's beautiful, no matter what she is!

I (and my daughter) have incubated and hatched 12 supposedly lavender Americaunas, but we have every color in the books! My latest ones, hatched June 2-3 look like one yellow one, one yellow tinged lavender, three possible lavenders and one dark blue.

Well only had 2 button quail hatch from 16 eggs must have been too hard on the trip here because from the 20 eggs I had surrounding the quail eggs I have had a pretty good hatch lost only one during hatch wife opened up the incubator and forgot to reestablish the humidity it dried up and died. One that never developed and 5 that nothing happened so far but I have 14 chicks that were supposed to be sacrifice eggs for the quail never candled and they started hatching before I even got them to lockdown. They were still turning when the first ones were hatched! All healthy most are female!!

Back
Top Bottom