June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
That sounds so much worse to anyone that doesn't know about the mishap with my incubator! Lol!

--- I discovered my incubator doesn't fair well when spiking it at the hard wood floor. Apparently things break when you do that. 🤷‍♀️ oops!
Well, you know...hens aren't too accurate on the details when passing things along.
Once Elder hen got involved you were in deep do do. In elder hen's defense, she thought the intel she was getting was accurate.

Getting tired of people asking to come on my property to look at my chicks... no thank you! I have strict bio security here and only friends and family are welcome. None go inside where my chicks or flock is except my husband, myself, or a family friend. Those are the only people I need touching my birds.

People are ridiculous, this isnt TSC!

All set up for the new crew. We go into IBW (Intense Bator Watch) on Wednesday-that acronym I made up years ago, someone said sounded like an intestinal malfunction, LOL.
Had to pull all the stuff out of storage and wash/disinfect it again. Using a 150W ceramic reptile bulb for heat and the monitor for our security cameras will provide a nightlight. View attachment 2171288
How do you like using a bird cage over a typical brooder set up? I have a large finch flight cage and have wondered if that would be easier.

How do you like using a bird cage over a typical brooder set up? I have a large finch flight cage and have wondered if that would be easier.

This is actually a rabbit cage, so it's wider and not as tall as an actual bird cage, but I like it fine, actually. I don't have to use a hardware cloth screen under the lamp because of the metal cage it sits on top of and there is a lot of air flow and light. Sitting next to a window is actually a good thing here. Over the years, I noticed that chicks who have access to lots of natural light grow better than those under only artificial light. And the cage, having a plastic bottom with a top that comes off, is super easy to clean. I started with a wooden brooder coated with marine polyeurethane and I like this better.

So I thought I'd jump in here with a question. The little chick that hatched just a few hours ago (slightly shrink-wrapped and assisted) is strong and doing well with one exception. It's feet are I believe what you would call curled. I've seen posts about bandaiding them for a bit but I'm wondering how long you wait before doing that? Is there a chance that as she walks more it will self-correct? I have two chicks who are starting to zip and I'm not really wanting to open the bator right now. There are a total of 5 who have hatched and 5 more who have externally pipped with 2 of them starting to zip. I'm on day 20 1/2 right now. Can I wait or should I take it out and fix the feet?

So I thought I'd jump in here with a question. The little chick that hatched just a few hours ago (slightly shrink-wrapped and assisted) is strong and doing well with one exception. It's feet are I believe what you would call curled. I've seen posts about bandaiding them for a bit but I'm wondering how long you wait before doing that? Is there a chance that as she walks more it will self-correct? I have two chicks who are starting to zip and I'm not really wanting to open the bator right now. There are a total of 5 who have hatched and 5 more who have externally pipped with 2 of them starting to zip. I'm on day 20 1/2 right now. Can I wait or should I take it out and fix the feet?
Do you have just the incubator flooring they are on?

Next time use the rubber grip shelf liner if you have not already.

If it’s toes are curled it could just be that it needs to walk around and might be nothing. You will not know until you move it to your brooder.

If it’s toes remain curled once it’s in the brooder then you can correct it with the chick boots that are suggested when a chick has curled toes.

Back
Top Bottom