June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So I thought I'd jump in here with a question. The little chick that hatched just a few hours ago (slightly shrink-wrapped and assisted) is strong and doing well with one exception. It's feet are I believe what you would call curled. I've seen posts about bandaiding them for a bit but I'm wondering how long you wait before doing that? Is there a chance that as she walks more it will self-correct? I have two chicks who are starting to zip and I'm not really wanting to open the bator right now. There are a total of 5 who have hatched and 5 more who have externally pipped with 2 of them starting to zip. I'm on day 20 1/2 right now. Can I wait or should I take it out and fix the feet?
I see no harm in opening the incubator really fast and grabbing the chick to put it in the brooder.

Just open the top slightly and grab the chick. Just go fast and do not leave the top open for an extended period.

Do you have just the incubator flooring they are on?

Next time use the rubber grip shelf liner if you have not already.

If it’s toes are curled it could just be that it needs to walk around and might be nothing. You will not know until you move it to your brooder.

If it’s toes remain curled once it’s in the brooder then you can correct it with the chick boots that are suggested when a chick has curled toes.
I am using the rubber shelf liners. They cover most of the hatch box floor but there is small area of the floor that isn't covered. The chicks I've noticed tend to stay on the shelf liner mostly. Thanks for the response. I'll keep and eye on it and wait. The brooder is all set up and ready to go! They will only be in the inside brooder for a day and then move to the larger brooder out in the coop.

I am using the rubber shelf liners. They cover most of the hatch box floor but there is small area of the floor that isn't covered. The chicks I've noticed tend to stay on the shelf liner mostly. Thanks for the response. I'll keep and eye on it and wait. The brooder is all set up and ready to go! They will only be in the inside brooder for a day and then move to the larger brooder out in the coop.
Sounds good. Sometimes their toes look curled, but they just need to stretch a bit. You’ll know once it’s moved to the brooder.

Post pics of your chicks once they fluff out so we can see them!

What a bummer. I held my gosling all day yesterday like literally did every task with one hand. I put her to bed in total darkness and with a stuffed animal hoping that would keep her from trying to move. I should have slept on the couch with her.

she was back on her back at 5. I’m afraid she has completely exhausted herself and her air sacs may be damaged at this point. She isn’t making noise today and opens her mouth for every breath. She is sleeping on my lap right now whilr I try and reach out to some geese specific groups to see if there’s anything left to do or if she is in too much discomfort.

what a total bummer.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! :hugs This is heartbreaking! I have never heard of this before. :hit

Depends on what your humidity is without water...

Do you have a hygrometer inside your incubator to check the humidity?
Yes I do have a this
IMG_20200601_095518.jpg

that usually says crazy things like a hundred and thirteen degrees when it's probably not, should I trust my incubators temp which is 97.7 .
15910199132145092304932241922781.jpg

Sorry the red glare is my finger .
this is what I trusted last time that I did quail and it seems to work, but then I had humidity problems where it was were spiking up to 90 humidity
Where do you live? Altitude matters.

Missuori, around Aurora .

Getting tired of people asking to come on my property to look at my chicks... no thank you! I have strict bio security here and only friends and family are welcome. None go inside where my chicks or flock is except my husband, myself, or a family friend. Those are the only people I need touching my birds.

People are ridiculous, this isnt TSC!

I've actually gotten really comfortable with meeting people at a store down the road with chicks. Zero issues that way. Most people are pleasant and wouldn't push about coming onto my property but you just can't be too careful these days.

Yes I do have a this
View attachment 2171359
that usually says crazy things like a hundred and thirteen degrees when it's probably not, should I trust my incubators temp which is 97.7 . View attachment 2171361
Sorry the red glare is my finger .
this is what I trusted last time that I did quail and it seems to work, but then I had humidity problems where it was were spiking up to 90 humidity

Missuori, around Aurora .
You shouldn’t use that for the temp only for the humidity part. You need a calibrated thermometer.

I've actually gotten really comfortable with meeting people at a store down the road with chicks. Zero issues that way. Most people are pleasant and wouldn't push about coming onto my property but you just can't be too careful these days.
I meet at TSC with chicks. I do not allow people on my property. More for my chickens safety than my own. I don’t need diseases introduced to my flock.

Back
Top Bottom