June Hatch-A-Long

young roosters can be jerks.
I have a bantam Cockerel that is three weeks younger than everyone else but matured faster than I have ever seen. None of the older production layers have started laying yet and he decided to attempt mating yesterday. Bad news for him, he wasn't on the keep list and today is butchery day for the CX, sorry little guy you will make a nice soup.

My broodies are harching their babies!!!:celebrate One has three so far with 2 more eggs. not sure how many the other has yet just heard peeping from under her last night. Today is day 21 for her. The other one started on Thursday. How long should I let her keep the other eggs if they haven't hatched yet, or will she just leave them. She seemed very determined to keep them when I was watching her last night.
In other news I locked down 63 eggs last night. Had a lot of internal pips and it was day 18. One had already pipped and I didn't notice it till I candled the egg, I hope it will be okay. Also had one seem to just break in my hand when I was putting it back in the bator. Not sure what I should do about that one so I went ahead and put it back in because it started chirping. I just hope I didn't kill it.
I also just ordered some silkie eggs from ebay wed. They should ship Mon or Tuesday. :oops: I'm going to have so many babies I won't be able to count them all...…..:drool These hatch a long threads are going to be the death of me.

Borrowed pic from Facebook, but this is what my hubby keeps sayin’:frow
F0F35543-C6F4-430A-9D36-0C2705C0F2A9.jpeg

My May Hatch a Long Polish Deathlayers... I honestly wasn’t sure about this cross at first, but I will continue with this cross. Very good temperament and weird part is the cockerels got Cushion Combs...Not sure if that’s a coincidence or not. We will see

Polish Deathlayer #1
AEA371AF-D24F-4C85-B9E4-DB434811E1D7.jpeg
310681AC-9A5B-440F-AE19-11E363D0088E.jpeg

Polish Deathlayer #2
5A560E65-98D5-4C68-85B4-7EE271381CFC.jpeg
03860834-C986-445D-9E36-56DA552D4DCE.jpeg

Polish Deathlayer #3
6AFFB310-8BB9-4898-B993-1ADE20B4046B.jpeg
F86E2809-EEB7-4D91-8ED1-94958FBAAC6D.jpeg

Last edited:
My May Hatch a Long Polish Deathlayers... I honestly wasn’t sure about this cross at first, but I will continue with this cross. Very good temperament and weird part is the cockerels got Cushion Combs...Not sure if that’s a coincidence or not. We will see

Polish Deathlayer #1
View attachment 2179552View attachment 2179553

Polish Deathlayer #2
View attachment 2179554View attachment 2179555

Polish Deathlayer #3
View attachment 2179556View attachment 2179557
They’re gorgeous! And such variety in colors/patterns. Did they all wind up with crests, too? Which one(s) are you keeping? :D

They’re gorgeous! And such variety in colors/patterns. Did they all wind up with crests, too? Which one(s) are you keeping? :D
I’m keeping all these 3. There’s two more, but cockerels and the cockerels seem to have Cushion Combs while the pullets have the V Comb.

When I cross my Deathlayer with any of my purebred girls, it makes the offspring all different colors. No two are the same.

They all have black crests, you can kind of see little Mohawks sticking up. Unsure if they’ll get bigger or not, but I’ll keep taking pics monthly of them.

Lawd. What a cluster.

So, I suppose I could give the older broody who has had fowl pox most or all the eggs and move them out of the coop once they have hatched. Grrr. I just rehomed 12 chickens the last week and a half to make coop space to keep everyone locked inside WITH the new chicks when showing the house or when hawks are out.

the infected broody has been broody for 5+ weeks now, I’m nervous if I cannot break her she is gonna be weakened by the whole process extension. And she killed those day olds. Crap. I think she needs to hatch Sunday. I’m rolling the dice.

vaccine says to administer before four weeks of lay and I don’t have any birds that young except the one 6 week old chick with the broody.

it says I’ve got to keep vaccinated separate for a while and I literally just broke down my other coop Thursday. I’d have to break both broodies to keep the chicks separate and I think that may end up being harder and more stressful than other options.

waaaaaaa. What a rough week or so.

a neighbor is coming to see our place today before we list It. Think positive thoughts they just buy it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I’ve not had to deal with this particular virus, and it looks like the chick vaccine isn’t really available, so you’d have to wait until 4 weeks old for them. The rest could be vaccinated; the label is meant for big poultry operations, and doesn’t always apply well to backyard flocks. I found this article informative:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks
As for the home showing... :fl :fl :fl

Quick update: we are at Day 21 for our chicken eggs under a broody! A week ago, I found that one of her eggs was partially crushed. I waxed the dent and put it in the incubator. I think that the embryo is still alive, but the aircell is huge! As for the broody, Naruto, she has been suffering with the heat wave we’ve been having. Poor girl was so hot yesterday, she got off the eggs even though two were externally pipped! Going to check on her now.

Attachments

• D6F9E4B4-7938-479F-988E-78523F38F523.jpeg
    D6F9E4B4-7938-479F-988E-78523F38F523.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FEBA6B38-10B0-4786-BAA8-3D10A0654B5F.jpeg
    FEBA6B38-10B0-4786-BAA8-3D10A0654B5F.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom