June Hatch a Long

I just had my first incubator hatch start last night. So excited! I have a question about one of the chicks, though. The first one out, a little bantam, has curled toes and her legs seem to be splayed. She was joined by two more chicks within two hours (a bantam and a full-size), and today they and the early AM two that hatched a good 10 hours after her are fluffy and running about, while she spends most of her time sleeping and still looks like a newbie. She lies on her back, even, feet in the air, snoozing away while the others run her over! She's about 16 hours old at this point.

I looked into the curled toes and found a thread here that said to make her little splints with band-aids and card stock. We did that and she didn't object, but it hasn't helped her move around any easier - now she just slips everywhere when she tries to walk. I'm worried that she's just too weak to make it, and don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions?

Like you, we work so we purchased a turner to 1.) No manual turning required and 2.) No opening and closing the incubator which can make the humidity and temperatures go up and down. When we go to lockdown on the day 19, the hatching eggs will be placed in egg cartons that have had their tops removed and if there are peaks between the middle section of the carton these will be cut down. I have recently heard some put holes at the button of each egg compartment for humidity to get to the eggs. Will read up on that in the next few days because our little darling go in lockdown on Friday....YEAH!

The hole in the bottom of the egg carton is for air circulation. And very much necessary!

I just had my first incubator hatch start last night. So excited! I have a question about one of the chicks, though. The first one out, a little bantam, has curled toes and her legs seem to be splayed. She was joined by two more chicks within two hours (a bantam and a full-size), and today they and the early AM two that hatched a good 10 hours after her are fluffy and running about, while she spends most of her time sleeping and still looks like a newbie. She lies on her back, even, feet in the air, snoozing away while the others run her over! She's about 16 hours old at this point.

I looked into the curled toes and found a thread here that said to make her little splints with band-aids and card stock. We did that and she didn't object, but it hasn't helped her move around any easier - now she just slips everywhere when she tries to walk. I'm worried that she's just too weak to make it, and don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions?

Sav a chick! It will really perk her up. I know it is hard to make those splints, make sure you trim betweem the toes as much as you can. Also I use shelf liner in the bottom of my brooder and incubator. Keeps them from slipping. If you dont have sav a chick, look up honey and water for lethargic chick. Some use a diluted gatorade too.

. I wrap each toe with wood stick matches and first aid tape within 24 hrs of hatch by wraping each toe separate you won't hinder movement I have pics on my computer of the last one we had I'll see if I can find and post I have 100% results with curled toe repair lol

Hi everyone!!! SWAP was fun. And I barely walked around...lol There was so much there it was amazing. I bought hubby a John Wayne photo, so this wifey is in the good for a bit!
6,11,16,& 23 are my hatch days!

Hi everyone!!! SWAP was fun. And I barely walked around...lol There was so much there it was amazing. I bought hubby a John Wayne photo, so this wifey is in the good for a bit!
6,11,16,& 23 are my hatch days!

What have you got in the incubator? How do you cope with staggered hatches, turning and lockdown or are they in different incubators? Sounds like you had fun
thumbsup.gif

Suppose to have hatching eggs today - but no peeping - maybe rocking (3 different eggs). This is only our second hatch and wondering if this is normal? I seem to remember we heard peeping last time before hatching the evening before. Scared something has happened and no hatch.

We set 12 Americana blue eggs, 10 buff orps, 2 blue orp, and 11 lot of mixed bantys and mystery eggs. We set the first 2 doz the night of Mother's Day so counted that Mon. as day one. Tues. our daughter was given 11 eggs and we put those in Tues. just after lunch of same week. We went to lockdown about 11:30 Friday nt.

LG, auto fan and turner.

Justified worry or too impatient?

Thanks,

Amanda
HI,
I have been hatching for three or so years and still get uptight on hatch day........and until the hatch is over..................
lol.png

I tell myself to find something to keep my mind busy and find my body pacing back and forth to check the incubator.......
Anyway, Your fine....Mother nature just does not always do things on our schedual.............. ( dang. always spell that word wrong.)
My hatch before last didn't start till day 23 ?????????? Made me CRAZY......
he.gif

I just set my eggs yesterday and the anticipation already has me checking the temp and humidity in my incubators at least every hour if not more. I have hatched hundreds of eggs and it never gets any easier. cant wait till hatch day. on a positive note.... maybe I will lose a little weight with all this pacing...lol.

Back
Top Bottom