JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
LOL! They are a lot of fun to watch. There are not Weeble Wobbles, they definitely fall down lol.

Today everything worked out for the best, and I’m grateful. Nutri-drench is my new go to at hatch. Lately, I am finding that chicks rebound quicker than with Sav-a-chick electrolytes.

I think I’ll move the little tykes to the brooder soon.
With my recent shipped chicks, I mixed save a chick, probiotics, and Nutridrench into one waterer, but I did decrease the amounts of each... Hard to tell whether that made a difference but chicks have done pretty well, despite a little pasty butt.

With my recent shipped chicks, I mixed save a chick, probiotics, and Nutridrench into one waterer, but I did decrease the amounts of each... Hard to tell whether that made a difference but chicks have done pretty well, despite a little pasty butt.

I find electrolytes can cause pasty butt. It’s no fun. Last bunch of Silkies I hatched, I felt like I was potty training an entire kindergarten class, always wiping and checking rears lol.

I’m glad your new chicks are doing well! I haven’t dealt with getting chicks shipped to me yet. What breeds did you get?

I find electrolytes can cause pasty butt. It’s no fun. Last bunch of Silkies I hatched, I felt like I was potty training an entire kindergarten class, always wiping and checking rears lol.

I’m glad your new chicks are doing well! I haven’t dealt with getting chicks shipped to me yet. What breeds did you get?
We got Favorelles and blue Ameraucana when our hatch failed under our silkie who was desperate to have chicks. We slipped the chicks under her at night and she and they were both thrilled! Took pics today at 12 days old.

Attachments

• FA96CB20-3A25-448C-B48E-5ECCE1F1A95A.jpeg
    FA96CB20-3A25-448C-B48E-5ECCE1F1A95A.jpeg
    769.4 KB · Views: 8
Well. I’m ready glad that I followed some excellent suggestions from this thread to go ahead and lock down guineas keet early! This keet hatched two hours ago, day 23 of incubation! Here’s a pic of the candle last night and of the keet just now - note to whomever: keets that look like this on candling are about to hatch!!! I had candled them all before lockdown last night, and I think another keet was similarly far along, so I hope that I awake to another hatched keet so this loud little one has a friend! It’s a lavender, like it’s dad, one of my favorite colors. I took these eggs from the communal nest when the hens had been sitting on it for about 5-6 days, so this was probably a keet that had been incubated before I took it. From the cam I can see that they turn and swap eggs all over the place. And that there are sections of eggs that are very erratically incubated, like this section on the camera that apparently won’t be sat on overnight...

I really expected to get SOME keets hatched from the guineas’ communal nest before any of these incubator keets hatched... Not a great hatch, but SOMETHING! So I just checked in again, for about the 20th time today on the guinea cam (see pic) and... nothing. Today was day 28 since guineas started sitting on their nest! I’m not brave enough to try slipping keets under broody guineas; they are not insensible at night, and if disturbed, they tend to go absolutely ballistically bonkers! Incubation is supposed to be 26-28 days for guineas but we are waving goodby to day 28... So, girls, what’s going on under there??? Anything?

Attachments

• 5CAC7A4F-CD9E-4C84-B3F6-D40FBAC22C8A.jpeg
    5CAC7A4F-CD9E-4C84-B3F6-D40FBAC22C8A.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 6
  • 82B61FA9-B8FF-495F-8E93-21BF7EC467BE.jpeg
    82B61FA9-B8FF-495F-8E93-21BF7EC467BE.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 6CC143E5-19F0-4C61-9F10-8E80A9897FA9.png
    6CC143E5-19F0-4C61-9F10-8E80A9897FA9.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Well. I’m ready glad that I followed some excellent suggestions from this thread to go ahead and lock down guineas keet early! This keet hatched two hours ago, day 23 of incubation! Here’s a pic of the candle last night and of the keet just now - note to whomever: keets that look like this on candling are about to hatch!!! I had candled them all before lockdown last night, and I think another keet was similarly far along, so I hope that I awake to another hatched keet so this loud little one has a friend! It’s a lavender, like it’s dad, one of my favorite colors. I took these eggs from the communal nest when the hens had been sitting on it for about 5-6 days, so this was probably a keet that had been incubated before I took it. From the cam I can see that they turn and swap eggs all over the place. And that there are sections of eggs that are very erratically incubated, like this section on the camera that apparently won’t be sat on overnight...

I really expected to get SOME keets hatched from the guineas’ communal nest before any of these incubator keets hatched... Not a great hatch, but SOMETHING! So I just checked in again, for about the 20th time today on the guinea cam (see pic) and... nothing. Today was day 28 since guineas started sitting on their nest! I’m not brave enough to try slipping keets under broody guineas; they are not insensible at night, and if disturbed, they tend to go absolutely ballistically bonkers! Incubation is supposed to be 26-28 days for guineas but we are waving goodby to day 28... So, girls, what’s going on under there??? Anything?

Aww! What a wonderful little keet!
That is a LOT of eggs in the nest! :eek: Good job to the girls not to step on any of them, they must be ballet dancers.

Aww! What a wonderful little keet!
That is a LOT of eggs in the nest! :eek: Good job to the girls not to step on any of them, they must be ballet dancers.
When I’m there, they freeze in place, but since I’ve got the cam, I can see that they move and swap positions pretty often. I think that they do step on eggs, which is probably why I’ve found a few broken ones that they’ve tossed out. Now I know why guinea egg shells are so thick and tough!

It's day 35, due day for the remainder of the duck eggs, and they're doing really well. They're popping out like popcorn, every time I go to check on them there's another little duckling in there. 13 so far, including the 3 early ones.:wee I'm so happy, it's the best and easiest duck incubation I've ever had. The safety holes made a big difference, no dead-in-shell after internal pipping so far.

The driest nine.
DSC_0002_mod.jpg

It's day 35, due day for the remainder of the duck eggs, and they're doing really well. They're popping out like popcorn, every time I go to check on them there's another little duckling in there. 13 so far, including the 3 early ones.:wee I'm so happy, it's the best and easiest duck incubation I've ever had. The safety holes made a big difference, no dead-in-shell after internal pipping so far.

The driest nine.
View attachment 1838612

Omg they are so cute! Congrats on a great hatch so far! Hope all continues to go well!

How’s it going? The chick is adorable! I have no experience with Guineas, but enjoy reading everyone’s adventures. Hope you woke to more chicks!

We got Favorelles and blue Ameraucana when our hatch failed under our silkie who was desperate to have chicks. We slipped the chicks under her at night and she and they were both thrilled! Took pics today at 12 days old.

So cute! I just love the sweet Silkie broodies. Lately, a surprising number of my extra chicks have gone to people getting them for their broodies who want to be mommies.

Back
Top Bottom