JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
I got DUCKLINGS!! The grey one beat Mr. Yellow to it by minutes.
@Mixed flock enthusiast These are Muscovies, yeah! Even longer to wait than "regular" ducks! :barnie

DSC_0001_mod.jpg

Mr. Yellow who, incidentally, happen to be yellow... Really hoping this is a girl so I can keep her!
DSC_0007_mod.jpg

I have shipped Welsh harlequin eggs under a broody duck. Started with 15, down to 12 so far. We're on day 14 expected around July 6. I'm going to be putting some of them in the incubator now that it's free and she's an unproven broody.
I currently have 5 WH left out of 6 shipped. All seem to be doing well on day 21 now. Lost 1 on day 9. Fingers crossed for at least a couple of hatches. Not had much luck with shipped eggs. Feeling hopeful this time though :) due on the 18th.

I bought 2 dozen hatching eggs on ebay, 12 crested cream legbar, and 12 Lavender orpingtons. Yesterday I set 7 under a broody cochin bantam, 8 under a broody barnvelder, and the rest in my incubator. Hatch day is june 29, i really want to hear about your hatches! Bring on the fuzzbutts!!!
;):caf:jumpy:woot
I have 20 eggs with 4 extras according to the ad that should be here by the 14th. That should give me enough time to clean the incubators and set up the livecam without pulling my hair out so we can tape when the eggs start hatching. I ordered 10 +2 extra Crele Orpington Eggs and 10+2 extra Lone Oak Crele which are like a Lemon Crele color Orpington.

Thank you @john_wrightson2003 for starting this hatch-a-long! Last summer, I had a Sebright go broody, and so I let her hatch a shipped Orpington egg. A year later, that big, fluffy Orpington is broody, so I'm giving her an assortment of eggs that should arrive today: Marans, Cream Legbar, Olive Egger and Jubiliee Orpington. (I've found that LF birds are not subject to hawk attacks the way bantams are, so I'm sticking with bigger breeds.)

Planning on setting the eggs tonight or tomorrow, so I'm looking at a hatch date around July 13. Happy to hatch with this group!

Hi all! :frow New month, new hatch-a-long! (sorry this is a long post)

This month I will only have one hatch, but it'll be a big one. 40 muscovy duck eggs are due the 8th. I've had THE worst luck with the ducks this year, many late deaths.

I've identified 2 problems: insufficient turning since I put them small-end-down. This time they're on their side, and an additional 180 degree manual turn each day. 2nd problem I noticed when I first candled the eggs. The bottom tray had 5 undeveloped eggs, while the top had none. All duck eggs have been incubated in the bottom tray. I've swapped them twice a day from day 7.

I found this article: Artificial Incubation of Muscovy Ducks (pdf link at the bottom) that found a correlation between egg size/shape and late deaths. The late deaths in this experiment were smaller and lighter than the normal hatches. I decided to put that to the test and measured all my eggs.

DSC_0019_mod.jpg

The average egg is about 6,6 cm long and 70 grams.
(L on the side means small air bubble. (smal = narrow, rund = round, spiss = pointy))
I also marked their air bubbles, which are a bit small for my liking.
DSC_0021_mod.jpg

So now I'll wait and see...

It looks all sunken-in.
I'm pretty certain that it didn't make it. I feel terrible about it eventhough I did what I could. I still have 10 more eggs. If even one survives I will feel blessed.

Aw no! I'm sorry for your loss! Malpositioned ducklings have a hard time hatching, and are very difficult to help. You did everything right with your help, unfortunately it was a little too late. At least now you know how to do it if there's another one struggling.
I'm sure the rest of the eggs are fine, malpositioning is usually a random thing that just happens sometimes. Hope you get 10 healthy ducklings! :fl

Back
Top Bottom